MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 08-17-2002, 09:06 PM

New Engraving by Ron Nott

Posted for Ron Nott - Details following

Old 08-17-2002, 10:28 PM

Ron finally got some of his stuff posted. (We thank you Bob)... These are great of course!

I've been lucky enough to see quite a bit of Ron's beautiful work in person the last time I went up to pay a visit.

I'll be spending the day with Ron tomorrow, learning how to make a folder from the ground up...It'll be hard not to be distracted by all the pretty goodies/samples which he has around his shop.

Really excited about making the knife! Been looking at knife photos for the past few hours in a whole different light...trying to settle on something to shoot for tomorrow. Whatever he and I wind up doing...I'll be thrilled I'm sure!!

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

Addendum: While looking around for ideas, I visited Don Guild's knife site...went through 6 pages of gorgeous knives trying to pick out a few designs that appealed to me. The very first one I picked, I scrolled down to learn more about it...it was by RON NOTT!!!
That is no B.S.!!:

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 08-17-2002 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:48 PM
Skilled

Ron

I am interested in the methods that you used to get the different colors. I would assume hot bluing to show the gold, then removing the bluing in the areas desired (French grey), then coloring the details using methods mentioned in other posts on this forum. I am assuming this because it is how I would do a firearm to achieve a similar look. But, I am asking because I would like to know if there is an easier / better way. As a final note: Your work is very beautiful!!!! I am sure that any more pictures of your work would be welcomed here.

Thanks
Brian
Old 08-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Living Legend

first i would like to thank bob for posting my photos and everybody else for there coments. brian to answer your questuon yes that is cold blued the area that i blued was taped off and the blueing was applied . those pictures are from a knife i did for a maker from s africa he didnt like what i did so i removed the panel and replaced it with a new one . i just sent bob a picture of the full knife panel i also have a lot of other pictures i will have bob post in the future they are of colts and knifes i do hope no body minds thanks to everybody ron p. nott

Old 08-18-2002, 08:18 PM

Full panel of 'Lion Knife'

Ron's Full panel

Ron,

You really do some nice work!

I hope you put the hammer on Dennis today and got him on the right track!! He's very lucky to live so close to some sooooooo nice. It sounds like he had a great time and learned a lot.

Bob Sigmon
Old 08-18-2002, 09:43 PM
Skilled

Ron

What kind of cold bluing do you use? I thought that hot bluing was the only type of bluing that would not color the gold inlay also.

Thanks
Brian
Old 08-19-2002, 08:26 PM
Living Legend

hi brian .. i dont know the name of the blueing it is some thing that i pick up at the gun shows . but cold or hot blueing will not stick to 24k gold i have been doing this for alot of yrs and never had a problem if you have any more questions just call....... ron p. nott

Old 08-20-2002, 12:07 AM
Guru

Nice effect Ron,
Do you have any pictures of the whole knife?
Tim
Old 08-20-2002, 08:13 AM
Living Legend

no i dont tim .. the customer didnt like what i did so i sent the knife back to him . this is only a sample of what the frame looked like .. but the knife didnt look nice.. but that is only my openion ron .p. nott

Old 08-20-2002, 10:39 PM

I've seen this piece in person and as is the case with all of the samples I've seen in his shop, it's truly gorgeous! Ron doesn't mention that after the customer "complained" the first time, Ron re-worked it with new images and incredibly, the customer still wasn't happy. Understandably, knowing the customer would never be content, at that point Ron returned the knife to the customer.

Ron is a real talent who is as accomodating to his customers as he is gracious to his friends.

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 08-21-2002, 07:49 AM
Living Legend

hey thanks dennis and the same goes for you i hope i was able to help you when you where at my shop and i hope i started the fire going in you to make knifes thanks ron p. nott

Old 08-22-2002, 11:21 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to falconhawk
Awsome Work Ron,,,,,,,,,,,

as usual, looking at your fine examples of engraving make me feel inadequet,,,, lol. But as usual, you work is outstanding.

Ron, I have made a few attemts at the "Bulino" type of work but I am having a lot of trouble in this area, got any reccomendations?

TY And thanks for another example of what our art is at it's best!

Clyde/ Falconhawk

Tags
knife, knives