MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 08-19-2002, 09:41 PM

engraving beginner

in fact have never tries it but I would like to . Can anyone recommend a good beginners book or tape. I would like to try decorating my knives but have n idea how to get started.
Thanks for the help
Steve
Old 08-19-2002, 11:09 PM

Steve
You can't go wrong with Meeks book on engraving. It has been and will be for a long time the standard when it comes to teaching new engravers.. You can purchase copies from GRS Corp. in Emporia, KS or from Brownells firearms tools and supplies. I think Tim will agree that this is probably the best place to start. I think studying design is the next step. You would be supprised at the imformation available on the topic of engraving....I would next visit the Barnes and Nobles book store or Books a Million and check out the craft and art section....there are gobs of books with engraving ( line art ) displayed in them.
I tell folks the story of when Harvey McBurnett and I were in New York for the big show....years ago. We were crossing one of the side streets and had to stop for the traffic....when Harvey looked up at the building across the street. Harvey gazed up and down for a moment and then said " That building is fully engraved". I'll have to tell you....It was! from top to bottom....cut stone on every corner and over every window and door. Just goes to show you that to study engraving you have to look everywhere.
If you decide to use the latest air tools that are available you might start with a beginners class on engraving at GRS in Emporia,KS. I believe the classes last a week and cover everything you wanted to know about engraving and more. The instructors are some of the top engravers in the country and can get alot of information into a short period of time. GRS is the maker of the GraverMax engraving system and you can go to their web site (GRS.com) and check out the equipment. Steve Lindsey who is one of the finest detailed engravers in the country also manufactures a piece of equipment and it's getting alot of attention ...... I would advise you to look there (stevelindseyengraving.com). I believe if you stick with this CKD sight and just ask question....you'll get the right informaiton to point you in the right direction.
Tim, I am sure, has some input and so do the other regulars here on the Embelishment site.
If you have specific questions....We'll answere them.........

Jim
Old 08-20-2002, 12:03 AM
Guru

Jim,
You about covered the whole "monty"!
Steve,
When you're ready, we'll talk you through any problem areas that you may encounter. Be patient and you'll do fine!
Tim
Old 08-20-2002, 01:18 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to falconhawk
Begining Engraving

You can not go wrong with Meek's book. I do not know of a single engraver out there that does not at least have a copy of "The Art Of Engraving" by James B. Meek. This is the FIRST book in engraving and probably the most complete work on the subject you will fine.

Thanks to once friend and fellow engraver, I now have the basis of a good library on engraving but I started with Meek's book.
Wven though my own engraving has taken me into "uncharted waters" I keep the Art of Engraving on the shelf right above my engraving/work bench. It is this book that I am constantly reffering to again and again.

As to the rough spots, everyone here has shown a great willingness to help out on just ablut any subject that you can immagine. There is a wealth of knowlege here, more than any one person could garner in their entire life. But the best advise I have been given to date is simply this...............

If you want to be an engraver, then ENGRAVE!

Falconhawk

Old 08-20-2002, 08:20 AM
Living Legend

hi steve . it sound like every body gave you the right advise on getting started . the only suggestion i have is buy the lynton mckenzie tapes there are 3 tapes and are very good and if i can help you any further just call .... go doe it
ron p. nott

Tags
knives