MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Skilled

Question calling all filet knife experts

I've got a call to build a filet knife. I've used them but never made one so I have some questions:

1. Assuming SS is the appropriate, which one would you rec.? I've used ATS-34 and 440C, I'm leaning 440C, but would consider anything else. I'll probably make 2 or 3 anyway. Has anyone done any in HC or 0-1? How'd that work out?

2. What thickness is best?

3. I know some flex is needed, so, according to the steel used and probably thickness, what guidance should I give the HT folks in order to achieve good edge retention but still be flexible but tough?

Please feel free to share any pictures of filets you've made so I can study blade disigns and rip off the best one I see No, really, I was thinking there could be various tip designs that would work. Which one's are best for a using filet?

Thanks fellows

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The bulk of commercial fillet knives are carbon steel, probably because they can be made very flexible very easily. SS is not so easy to make flexible.

All of my fillet knives have been SS, 440C to be exact. Not everyone wants a lot of flex in their fillet knife but most don't want a stiff blade either. For 440C, I think I'd tell the heat treater to shoot for Rc 57 or 58 at the most and try to get the blade cryo treated as well (adds toughness). You'll need to be in this hardness range to have good edge retention.

After the hardness is accomplished, about all that you can do to control flexibility is to adjust the thickness, width, and profile of the blade. The thickness is pretty obvious: thick is stiff, thin is more flexible, long and thin is even more flexible. I tend to make my blades wide near the handle with a strongly tapered profile to the tip as well as a distal taper. This makes the front of the blade pretty flexible, stuffer towards the rear. The rear profile gets reduced if having the whole blade flexible is desired.

No matter what you do,you probably won't get near the flexibility with a stainless blade that you can with a carbon steel blade. And, without the cryo, it will be much easier to snap the blade if the user tries to force the blade to flex like a carbon blade ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Skilled

Hi Dennis,

Here is one I did awhile back it is a large fillet knife made for a customer that has taken ill (failing liver) who did mostly salt water fishing and a lot of salmon. I am surprised at how flexible this large knife is. So don't be afraid to use the ATS-34. I do agree with Ray I would keep the RC down around 58.

This knife has an ATS-34 blade heat treated, cryo quenched and tempered to rc58. Blade is 1 1/8" wide by 8" long by 3/32" thick. handle is brown canvas micarta with stainless steel pins. Overall length is 13". Blade has a 400 grit machine finish.

Custom sheath by Sally Martin.

www.turnerknives.com
Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Enthusiast

Have you considered 15N20? It comes in thin stock (about 1/16th). it's a carbon steel yet the nickel content gives it many stainless-like properties.

I have only made one filet knife (I can't find a picture) but I made it from 1/16th thick 15N20. I edge quenched it prior to grinding the blade to help prevent warping.

I hope that helps.

-Pete
Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast

I am a newbie knife maker, but I have been fishin since I was able to sit in my daddies lap n crank on a reel. Thinnnnn is good thick is bad. The one I have is 0.0590in (3/64)at its thickest point and a little thinner would make me happy. Flex is good from the middle to the tip of the blade when you can bend it past 45deg and it pops right back. From there back to the handle you want a little stiffer.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Skilled

Pete,
Did you do the HT yourself on the 15N20? I am not against sending SS off to HT but I have always liked the idea of sole authorship with my knives so if I can do it, that prospect really appeals to me.
If you did, can you share some procedures for that steel as I am not familiar with it.
Thanks fellows!

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Master

Flexibility is determined by thickness , not HT. If you have the proper furnace or send out for HT ,CPM154, 154CM,ATS-34 all will make very fine filet knives. I'd aim for 59 HRc.
Blade shape and thickness is going to depend on what type of fish.Fallkniven makes an interesting knife that has a short [4" IIRC] blade but it's 4.5mm thick !! I assume that's for larger ocean fish.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Dennis,

I do HT 15N20 myself. Its a carbon steel with ~.7 % carbon (so basically 1070 with nickel added).

[15N20 = C-0.78%, Mn-0.39%, Ni-2.1%, Cr- 0.15%]

Heat to non-magnetic ~1550f. I hold it for one minute (Some advise 5 - 10 minutes)
Oil quench in ~140F light oil
temper at 350 2 hours 2 times then 375 2 hours once

Hope that helps.

-Pete
Old 03-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Skilled

BEAUTIFUL! Thanks Pete!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast

I use 1/16" in both 154CM and S30V for my fillet knives, the picture is my 15" fillet knife it has a 10" blade S30V RC 59, I would say this one has a medium flex.

Gill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ivory Micarta Fillet with Sheath (600 x 450).jpg (89.9 KB, 56 views)

www.coteknives.com
Old 03-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

Cote,thats a gorgeous knife !

Where do you get your 154m in 1/16...Thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cote22
I use 1/16" in both 154CM and S30V for my fillet knives, the picture is my 15" fillet knife it has a 10" blade S30V RC 59, I would say this one has a medium flex.

Gill
That knife is awesome.

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Check out my website.
www.crystalcreekknives.com
Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG2
Cote,thats a gorgeous knife !

Where do you get your 154m in 1/16...Thanks
I get my fillet knife steel from Ranger Original Knife supply's from Alberta Canada,

Here's a couple of Tel. # International calls 1-403-637-0047
Canada toll free 1-888-858-3343

Great Guy to deal with and he offers HT service with cryo and each blade is RC tested.

www.coteknives.com
Old 03-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info !!!!

Tags
blade, fishing knife, knife, knives