MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 12-30-2002, 09:04 AM
Steel Addict

Pocket Clip Location

I have just a simple question that may spark some debate (not trying to start one though).

I'm still in my infancy in knife making and plan to specialize in folders.

I've noticed that most custom or hand made knives pocket clip (when used) is located near the upper bolster so the handle is upright in the pocket, and that most production knives clips are located at the base of the knife so the knife is facing down in the pocket.

Now it may just be my preference for facing down because of my years of using production knifes (before finding the world of custom knives), but which way do most customers prefer them?

A baby's father
Some mother's son
Old 12-30-2002, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hello Mike!
Great avatar, whats his/her name? I love dogs!
I think what you're asking is tip up or tip down?
Personally, I won't make a folder with the clip set up for tip up carry for liability reasons. It's just too easy for one to fall open in the pocket and the owner reaches in to pull the knife out and gets cut bad and who's gonna get the blame? The knife maker, for making an unsafe sharp edged eviiiiiillllllll weapon, thats who. Well, not in 99.99% of the cases but it's the .001% of the cases that can bankrupt you that matter. I know other knife makers that feel the same way. The risks just out weigh the potential benefits, sales wise. Thats why I and probably most other knife maker put the clip so the knife is carried tip down. Hope this helps!
Old 12-30-2002, 04:47 PM
Steel Addict

Never looked at it that way. You know I was just this moring thumbing my new little Gerber in my pocket that my wife got me for christams and poked myself. (She got me the knife, not the pocket)

That's Frisco, he's my 7-year old buddy. My other pooch, Lilly my 2-year old lab, won an avatar contest on a Programming forum simular to CKD. I wish I could remember their link and I would post it for you. Yeap, I love my dogs!!!

A baby's father
Some mother's son
Old 12-31-2002, 07:42 PM
Hall of Famer

to each his own. you can't wave a tip down emerson, but most makers prefer to design for safety as l6 mentioned.

Old 12-31-2002, 08:23 PM

Question I don't get it.

I'm a little confused. I have only one tip-up carrying knife, the EV4N-1 kit knife.

Now, the clip is on the RH side of the knife, and when I clip it in my RH pocket the blade rests against the inside wall of my pocket. I clip it to the RH side of my pocket opening. I think this is pretty standard, correct? Anyway, that leaves room to get the hand in on the left side of the pocket--where the only thing in contact is the backspine of the knife.

So what is the liability problem? Do you guys have a knife that has a clip on the left side in this scenario? Only then could I see a problem.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 12-31-2002, 10:54 PM
Enthusiast

Jim, unfortuantely not everyone is as smart as you when it comes to handling sharp objects. Stupid people are seldom held responsible for their own actions.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:38 AM
Guru

Quite a useful discussion, worth thinking about some more.

So far I don't have any custom folders with pocket clips, I've just realised that! So I'll have to comment on production knives for a moment (the horror!).

If you loosen the pivot on a tip-up carry knife it is possible for the blade to partly open in your pocket, then when you go to draw the kife from your pocket, the tip catches and you draw an open knife - like a poor man's Wave

My opinion is that if I carry a knife adjusted that badly and cut myself on the knife which has opened in my pocket or when I take it from my pocket that's my own stupid fault. I suspect 99.99% of custom knife owners will feel the same way. However, Michael is absolutely right when he says: "Stupid people are seldom held responsible for their own actions."

I don't really have a preference for tip-up or tip-down carry, tip-down is faster to deploy but then my piece of string/apple/envelope/parcel/shoelace isn't likely to go for my throat if I'm taking my time with a tip-down carry folder

Roger

Old 01-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Skilled

This issue has been discussed at great length on BF over the years. Some people prefer tip up and some tip down. Some think there is a liability concern and others, like me , think that's not at all important. I have concluded that either way will work for me depending on the style of knife. I have tip up knives that I love and I have tip down knives that work equally as well. So I say tailor your decision to the aesthetics of the knife.

Knives, Tools and Videos: http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives
Old 01-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Steel Addict

If the knife is going to be used as a defensive weapon,tip up is the way to go,it's easier to get the knife open and ready that way,Tip down needs to be reorientated in the hand ,too slow.If it's just utility,or a gents piece then tip down. Or each end could be drilled&tapped for both.Depends on needs and preference.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:31 AM
Enthusiast

I don't understand why you say the knife has to be reoriented in the hand if it's carried tip down. All i do is pull it with the thumb and index finger and it naturally falls into the palm with the thumb right on the thumb bob. No changing position or rotating the knife to get it open.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:57 PM
Steel Addict

If all else fails.......

put holes at both ends of the handle and let the customer decide!

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives