MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-25-2003, 05:29 PM

Thumbs up 2nd knife

here is a link to trout fillet knife ivory micarta scales mosaic pin 8-aus ss. let me know if i should try to round the edge of handle if yes whats a good method . thanks allhttp://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/rps2465@sbcglobal.net click on the yahoo photo folder i did however round them some just scared if i over do it i cant put it back

Last edited by robert steele; 07-25-2003 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I think I'd round the edges some. How much is a matter of personal taste. I like flat sided handles on fillet knifes, they seem easier to hold on to when things get slippery.

Just knock the edges off using your contact wheel or your platen. Then sand by hand to the finished shape ....
Old 07-25-2003, 06:46 PM

THANKS rAY WOULD A DREMEL WITH A DRUM SANDER BIT WORK? HOW MUTTCH SHOULD I TAKE OFF THE EDGES?:confused:

Old 07-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

A dremel should work fine. So would a file or even just sand paper - anything that will cut the material.

As I said before, how much you take off is a matter of personal preference. I personally like flat sides so I wouldn't take enough to make the handle seem round. Take enough that the edges don't bite into your hand. Keep taking a little off and feeling how it feels to you. When you're happy with it, stop.....
Old 07-25-2003, 09:38 PM
Master

Robert,

Good looking filet knife. I like that style.

As for the handles, you might try some shop roll, which is large rolls of sandpaper with a width of 1 inch in varying grits. Wrap the blade, chuck it up in your vise and using a length of the shop roll, use a back and forth "shoe shine" motion that will really bit into the material and might just give you more control overall. I can personally attest to how a Dremel can get away from you if not carefull.

Chris
Old 07-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Steel Addict

Good Job!

Robert,
Good looking knife !
I second what Ray and Chris are saying. I have recently discovered the 'hand' method.
I tried grinders and power tools, but nothing gives you the slow, controlled shaping like files and sandpaper!
One method I use is to draw a line, say 1/8" from the edge on the top of the handle, then one 1/8" down on the sides. Then file this material off to give a 45 degree 'bevel' on the edge. Then sand the bevel round! This saves a little time taking the big chunk of material off!
Hope this helped! Good luck!
Keep up the good work!
Keith
Old 07-26-2003, 12:04 AM

thank yall for the expert advice. i will keep it in mind tomarrow when i proced to finish the knife. p.s my next project is a canadian skinner with ? well havnt decided on handle material but am considering imsrag any one have any luck with it?:confused:

Old 07-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Master

Robert,

I just recently bought a set of Imistag scales just to try them out. I've been trying several techniques to dye the exposed bone to a darker brown. So far, it works very much like bone in the way it grinds and polishes. Not quite stag, but it doesn't cost as much either.

Chris
Old 07-26-2003, 03:10 PM

Thumbs up

thank, Chris let me know if the dye works and possably the type of dye. p.s keep up the good work im from houston also but noew i live near victoria my brother came down this weekend he loved the fillet knife for he fishes alot hes going to take the knife back to houston and show it off to friends and people he deals with in the phone buissness. hopen he can get me some orders lined up. well later VChris and thanks again for your reply

Tags
blade, fishing knife, knife