MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Cold Steel Cult
Smile New Filet Knife From Compass Saw

I thought this post would be appropriate for the outpost because of the primitive materials I used (correct if wrong). I just recently made a filet/steak knife from a compass saw that my dad threw out. Just saw it in the dumpster when we were cleaning out the garage and put it in my tool box. I annealed the tang, but didnt do any HT on the blade because it was already pretty hard (file slid right off it), and flexible (flexed about 60 degrees without any warpage). Finished off the handle with amaranth (purpleheart) and plain epoxy. I'm thinkin about drilling a 1/4" hole in the butt once the epoxy sets and driving in a 22 shell and flaring the ends with a punch. Feel free to comment and criticize. I should hopefully have pictures of it up soon .

Jon

P.S. Does anyone know what kind of steel compass saws are made of? I am going to guess a fairly simple carbon steel like 1050 or something of that nature. Thanks a bunch!!

Tags
blade, fishing knife, knife