MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Guru

From the Master's bench

My good friend Sandy asked me to post a few for him so here ya go.Enjoy, I did. The Lucky student.Dave.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:59 PM

Dave --- I saw some of thes above on the KN Banner, and when I saw they'd been posted by DCKnives I immediately thought you'd sold your soul to that ol Georgia Devil (famous in the Charley Daniels song) and started doing some very Morrissey-like sheaths

I love the swinger style sheath -- a new one for me, so naturally I posted it in my catalog of things to try one of these days -- thanks to both you and The Master
BTW, what is the function of the silver stud/post/rivet on the swinger sheath?

Mike

Old 04-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
BTW, what is the function of the silver stud/post/rivet on the swinger sheath?
It's a tension/retension screw like you see on holsters. That swinger is a nice twist on the Scandi style sheaths

Sandy - I got theses pics in the email but up until today I've just been to out of it to post anything - between fighting off the gout (almost gone....) and trying to get some work done I've just had to let other things slide.....Hope Helen is doing better - our prayers and good thoughts are with you both...

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Living Legend

Mike,

The fillet one is one Sandy made for a friend of mine who traded some of his wood working for the knife and sheath. It turned out better than I pictured it. He and I really like how the cat tails formed the fish symbol. The owner has a degree in theology and is a minister.

The clip vs. a belt loop is something the guy also really liked so he didn't have to always keep the knife on him. He could hook it anywhere it was out of the way.

It was also the first time I was allowed to have time to study one of Sandy's sheaths. They normally have to go right out the door. Studying his is at the same time helpful in seeing how it's done and discouraging to see how far I have to go .

Edit: Chuck, we were both typing at the same time . Sandy said the screw was something he does for trail points to protect the user. The knife has a large sweep; some of the guys around here called it a Persian fillet knife. Still not completely sure all of it yet, but he (like you) is someone that I will take sheath making information on faith.

to Sandy and Dave for sharing,
Jim

Last edited by Drac; 04-11-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:50 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Smile

Thanks , Dave, I appreciate! Mike, that silver (actually brass) stud is actually a Chicago screw, and, Chuck, in this case it is not used for tension purposes. This knife , which is a fillet type, had an upswept or trailing point that threatened to penetrate the spine of the sheath. In order to prevent this I devised this method of prevention. Due to the trailing point, the sheath had to be wider than the blade to facilitate drawing the blade. Using this space, I was able to place a leather washer between the spine of the blade and the spine of the sheath. The blade rest on that washer and it prevents the tip of the blade from contact with the spine of the sheath. The Chicago screw goes through the washer and sheath and is secured with a dab of lock-tite on the threads. Eureka, By Gad, it works! I have used this system on a myriad of fillet knives where the trailing point is on the last couple of inches of the blade. Prior to doing this I hated trailing point blades---still do, as a matter of fact. Never could see the reasoning other than possible eye-appeal over function. Jim, thanks for the little bio on the sheath---Sandy

Old 04-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Guru

Mike, I "would "have to visit the crossroads to get that good that quick .But thinking of the song makes me think it should go like this:
"The Devil knew he had been beat, he laid that golden sheath on the ground at Sandy's feet.Sandy said let me tell you what you son of a bitch I'm the best there's ever been"

On the sad note, I am sorry Sandy that Helen is ill again.Send our love and we will keep her in our prayers.
Dave
Old 04-12-2005, 12:18 AM

Sandy -- I thought you'd know better by now -- when our friends are in need of our prayers we are honored to be asked; thankfully Chuck and Dave took it upon themselves to inform us that your wonderful Helen needs a little support from your (plural) friends. Please know that all of your friends are keeping Helen foremost in our thoughts and prayers.

A last question about the dangler and the Persian filet knife -- the Chicago screw and washer is a neat solution, but wouldn't a butterfly sheath suffice, with a welt along the upswept tip?

Mike

Old 04-12-2005, 09:45 AM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Smile

I want to thank all you fellers for your prayers and well wishes for my sweet Helen and me! Your friendship has been very valued in this household! -------Mike, it all depends on the curvature and or the length of the blade and whether the blade can be rotated into the sheath. This is not possible if the blade is long, slender and the trailing point is at the last two or three inches. Then the sheath has to have the depth to accommadate that TP for the entire length or you can not insert that sucker---Sandy

Old 04-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Living Legend

Here's the knife in question:

It's got quite a bit of curve to it and a bit of belly.

Tags
blade, fishing knife, knife, knives