MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast

"Model of the Week" (Week no. 6 Model 6)

I think this one is a week or so overdue so I'll get the thread started. I don't have a Model 6 at the time but I do have one on order so I would'nt mind in the least to look at some. Post what you got.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:34 PM

Thanks for getting this going, Steve!

I'm afraid I'm still sixless. (Now, now, there's no typo here... )

Please show us your 6's.

Moosehead, and the rest of us forgetful moderators.

Old 09-25-2005, 06:17 PM

Yes thanks, Steve! I'm sixless too (again no typo). But I did own an old one that I sold at Blade this year. I'm posting some photos. No "Model of the Week" should go without a little history: The lineage on this model goes back almost as far as the Hunter: Bo's 1st carver came in late 1937. The majority of knives he was making back then had "fancy" handles (crown stag with many fiber and metal spacers). He also handled some factory made blades from Case, Henckles and Northhampton cutlery in the late 30's / early 40's. In late '45 the "All Purpose Carving Knife" took the 6th position in the new 1945 catalog. These early carvers all had stag handles as did the fork and sharpening stick if a set was ordered. The pinning of the stag and spacer sets typically followed the same timeframes as other stag handled models. Although you rarely see one, a leather sheath for the Model 6 was available by special order. I'm not sure when other handle materials became an option for this model. Maybe the Cap can flesh this one out.

Best,

Ron

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carver a (Small) (Custom).jpg (19.6 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg Carver b (Small) (Custom).jpg (26.5 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg Carver c (Small) (Custom).jpg (23.7 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg Carver d (Small) (Custom).jpg (22.4 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg Carver e (Small) (Custom).jpg (25.9 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by BoBlade; 09-25-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Skilled

Beautiful blade!
I am a new Randal convert (12th and last time I've said that) and am still learning about all the variations that were and still are available. When I see a beautiful blade like the one posted above and the curved stag grip blades still offered by RMK I wonder how the tang fits the grip. If someone could explain I would be much obliged.
tom
Old 09-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Skilled

This set has the 01 rather than stainless blade and the carborundum sharpener rather than the newer sharpening steel. I got this set cheap on Ebay.
Jeff
Old 09-26-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
When I see a beautiful blade like the one posted above and the curved stag grip blades still offered by RMK I wonder how the tang fits the grip. If someone could explain I would be much obliged.
Tom,

The fit was very difficult up until 1947 when Bo got in his EDM, laser drill and X-Ray equipment

Seriously, maybe DW or Grindo can explain.

Best,

Ron
Old 10-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Skilled

As requested, and with the help of Raindog, I am going to post up a pic of a Model #6 "set" I have used for quite a while. The large Randall is a Model #6-9", "Large filet knife"! The smaller one is a Model #7-5", with a #6 grind. I hope I don't make this too confusing. I know what I am trying to say, but sometimes getting that point across is a different story!
If you order a Model #6-9" "Large filet knife" from Randall you can request a single hilt and a Model "B" sheath. The one pictured here has other options, such as stag, finger grips, aluminum and red spacers, duraluminum butt cap, etc. The Model #7-5" is simply made up to match. Finger grips are no longer available on a model #7, but were so available at the time I had this one made (about 20 years ago).
You can also order a Model #6 "fork and steel", along with a 3 compartment carrying case, to "complete" this set. This Randall combination allows a collector/ user the option of: A complete carving set, as well as a very practical large knife for other purposes.
Other handle material has been available on Model #6's for decades. Maroon, black, ivorite, real ivory, stag (of course), walnut, maple, rosewood, etc. can all be ordered on this "set". I hope this helps folks out with previous questions within this thread. If I have not made myself clear, please respond, in kind, and I will try again. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 10-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
And here are the knives that The Captain spoke of. Very nice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captain's Mod6.jpg (49.9 KB, 77 views)

- Ronald Reagan
Old 01-02-2006, 03:59 PM

No longer sixless!

Hi all!

We recently obtained a beautiful RMK carving set:

I thought you would enjoy these photos with you now that we have "broken in" on our new carving set on New Year's Day, which happened to coincide with the last night of Chanukah.

The knife easily sliced through a turkey, perfectly cooked by Mrs. Moosehead.

A good time was had by all!

Cheers!

Moosehead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN7367.jpg (29.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN7397.jpg (26.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN7396.jpg (31.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN7406.jpg (27.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN7409.jpg (31.2 KB, 20 views)

Old 01-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Steel Addict

Model 6

Hello all

Well I/we do have a Model 6. But we are in Florida and the knife is in Canada. But I hope to find another Model 6 at the Gator Cutlery Show later this month.

BTW I did get over to the RMK shop the other day. Didn't stay too long. Talked to Scott and then headed back to where we are staying. Will go back again before we head back to Canada. What a great place to visit!!!!!!!

Rod

Tags
blade, fishing knife, forge, knife, knives