MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 04-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Skilled

Me? What do you mean..Me?

Double,
This is how we learn, grasshopper. Yes...It's true, "I" know and have not let the cat out of the bag, but it's not about "me". Ya'll should figure it out. Hint: It's really not that hard.
Good luck, Capt. Chris Stanaback

Old 04-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Steel Addict

The catalog says the steak knife has a 4-1/2-inch blade. There was a rumor a while ago that it also could be had with a 5-inch blade, but Scott says, ?no such thing.?

Excerpt from a forum post:
?...ordered through one of our favorite authorized Randall dealers back when we were attempting to collect each of the various RMK models (within reason) with stacked leather handles, this one came to us sheath stamped as a model #6-5...?

Scott?s response:
?Sure would like to see the other side of the sheath to see this stamped #6-5! I don't ever recall ordering a sheath with this stamp since Pete's retirement in 2000! Not saying one could not have been ordered through Greg, but I believe this may be a slight misrepresentation by calling this a 6-5. I do remember making a couple of 7-5 #6 grind for T.C., (among other dealers) but RMK doesn't offer a model called the 6-5.
Just thought I'd straighten this mistake before we get flooded w/ orders for a knife description that doesn't exist!
-------DW-------

So, I guess the answer isn?t 5 inches?

-Steve
Old 04-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast

Its either the Denmark Special or the GTR Special! I have never handled either so I don't know for sure but it has to be one of the two! OR else I am wrong. Im thinking the GTR though with it's 3.5 inch blade!

Last edited by doublethink98; 04-25-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Steel Addict

I like the idea of a filet knife for fishing. 9" SS blade and some sort of micarta handle to withstand the saltwater and other elements, and a small single hilt. Sounds tasty.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Skilled

please.....

Crew,
The Model #6's, regardless of blade length do not come with a "6" stamped on the sheath. The 9" version, when ordered with a sheath and a hilt is stamped with a "9" only. The Model #6-4 1/2" is sheathed with a model #7 sheath and is justly stamped "7-4" for a 4 1/2" blade. Randall has not denoted half inch blade lengths on the sheaths for quite some time. I am sure that somewhere there is a "6" stamped on a sheath...But I ain't seen it!
O.K. The third blade length is, indeed 5". A Model #7-5", with a number "6" grind is a Model #6-4 1/2"...only 1/2" longer. Spin it anyway you like..That's the deal! ...."AND" both of the shorter blade #6's are available in carbon or stainless. Something to think about. I only order them in stainless because of their general usage.
Now: Good discussion can begin. "GTR's" and "Denmarks" are a different breed of cat. Although similar they have their own non-catalogged status. All of this is giving me a headache. I can only imagine what it is doing to you folks.
3 blade lengths: 4 1/2", 5", or 9"..Take your pick. Later. The "Captain"

Old 04-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
I like the idea of a 9" fillet knife.

- Ronald Reagan
Old 04-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Steel Addict

9" filet knife would make a good user.

Steve
Old 04-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Enthusiast

I go for the 7-5 with the 6 grind
Old 04-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Steel Addict

Hold the Builders here!!! I see I was wrong & admit the Foolishness of my earlier Pick. Reading between the lines here, we can always build a Model #7 with the #6 Grind for our "Next Build".
I agree with my friend, "Putz", let's build a 9" Carver Set.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

I might be out on a limb here, well actually I know I am because I wasnt here when the Capt started these builds but I can imagine his intentions were for us to learn of all the options we have and get to build some pretty unique knives. In my lesser opinion it would be a better use of our time to, as the Capt has stated, to "Think outside of the box" and try something a little different. I am, as my father-in-law likes to call me, an "ebay whore" when it comes to Randall's and am yet to see such a unique, again "out of the box" build as a steak knife hunter or I fear even the more rare 7-5 with a 6 grind. I feel it would be in or best interest to not go with the carving set and expand our horizons and build something unique or seldom seen. Sure we could build a 7-5 with a 6 grind on our next build but then maybe after thinking about it we should try the steak knife as a hunter. Ultimatly its up to the majority and frankly I have two knives ready to pick up tomorrow at Randall's shop and cannot quit thinking of, well, my new children. Maybe I will post some pics! Until then "Majority" plead your cases and lets see what we come up with.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Skilled

Interesting posts!!

Yeah, folks,
That's what I'm talking about. Varying points of view. Good ying and yang! "Outside the box" was meant to get people thinking about various possibities. We may very well wind up with a carving set, when all is said and done....but at least let's talk it over. Oh..and Mike: We "can" build a #6 on our next build. I will not prevent it, if that is what the majority wants. The difference in number sixing a "7", verses a "4", is the fact that, in the case of the #4 build, that was the "only" chance to do so. We will only get one chance to build a #7. It's good to think ahead. I like that. Just keep in mind that somewhere in all of these number guessings, someone might win 2 knives and a #6 and #7 in the same configuration would be cool. Of course: We could make a Model #6-9", "Large Filet Knife" and a Model #7, with #6 grind to match......"AND" add the fork and steel to the first order and have a load of cool stuff accomplished in 2 builds...Now: How's "THAT" for getting and thinking ahead? I'll dig up a pic of 2 of my "users" that has been worn out on these forums, but is pertinent to all of this. Then we can really open up a can of worms...So little time...so few Randall builds!! This is going to go on for a lot more than the 2 years I had set aside for these projects. You guys (and occasionally a gal...Where is she anyway?) really keep me going on all of this! Good thread. Maybe we will have more views and posts on this one than we thought!!

Later...and best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 04-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Skilled

My vote is for a 9 inch Model 6 made up as a hunter/fillet knife with a leather sheath for it and the fork and sharpening steel made up like the knife and include the felt roll in the deal. That way we have a versatile big long dual use set. Alternatively we could make the 9 inch knife up with a double hilt as a fighter but again include the fork and sharpening steel and felt roll and a leather sheath.
Jeff
Old 04-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Steel Addict

I agree with Jeff Completely

Old 04-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Steel Addict

Here's a sweet #7 with a #6 grind that I bought from a friend of the Cap. I believe (help me out here, Cap) that it came from, and was configured by the Cap. SS blade, NS square top hilt and collar, thumb notches. Maroon micarta teardrop shaped handle and a DA radiused cap. It feels "natural" in the hand and would make an ideal all around user.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00940.JPG (15.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Skilled

yup!

Byrdguy,
Yup: I put that bad boy together several years ago! I sure wish that old maroon micarta was still available. It almost looks black..but definately isn't. Thanks for the pic. Hopefully more to come...Best, The "Captain"

Tags
blade, fishing knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives