MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:39 PM

Drilling into treated SS

I have reshaped the handle of a filet knife I recently purchased. However, I would like to add a decorative pin in the middle of the handle.

When I put the handle area through my bandsaw, it cut REALLY SLOW (as SS will do.) However, I cannot drill through the blank. Any ideas?

Best,
Preston
Old 05-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Harder drill bit - carbide, if you can get one. Texasknifemakers sells them. If not, you can try cobalt. Sears sells them. You can also use a grinding bit on a dremel tool, but it's a messy way to burn a hole.

Thought I'd respond before the jokers stepped in with suggestions about lasers or 'really tiny photon topedos".

Old 05-23-2007, 11:33 PM

Thanks TJ. I was using a cobalt bit. It did not bite. Carbide I'll try. I have already glued one scale to the blank (my bad) but I bet I could get where I want with my dremel.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by storebought; 05-23-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Steel Addict

For future reference, try spot annealing, an old gunsmith trick. Stick a short piece of drill rod in your dremel or drill press and spin till the area turns blue. It works well if there is a center punch mark to keep the rod from wandering too much. A micro butane torch should also work.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfilion
For future reference, try spot annealing, an old gunsmith trick. Stick a short piece of drill rod in your dremel or drill press and spin till the area turns blue. It works well if there is a center punch mark to keep the rod from wandering too much. A micro butane torch should also work.

That is a GREAT idea! Thank you.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

I remember reading that technique a while back. Totally slipped my mind.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Master

I have used carbide drills from Jantz/Koval or others!!Expensive but they go through!!If you drill the wood till you ger to the metal and then change drills for carbide better because of the profile of carbide drills is no good for wood!!Sometimes masonry drills correcting the angle with a dimond burr cut as good as carbide,cost a fraction!!
Regards:Alberto
Old 05-28-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto
I have used carbide drills from Jantz/Koval or others!!Expensive but they go through!!If you drill the wood till you ger to the metal and then change drills for carbide better because of the profile of carbide drills is no good for wood!!Sometimes masonry drills correcting the angle with a dimond burr cut as good as carbide,cost a fraction!!
Regards:Alberto
Knifekits.com has the carbide drill now in stock and ready to ship. They do work well.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:28 AM

Man, I lament. I bought a few filet knife kits for my boys, and thought I would do some cool designs. The blanks are 3/32 and are really cool; except for the handle style and hole placement. I reshaped the handles but needed to re-drill some holes to accommodate fancy pins and whatnot.

Holy No Hole Drillin. The blank is harder that petrified canine droppings. I tried to spot anneal. Neat; no cigar. I got anxious, and fired up the torch . . . no drillin. I ruined two colbolt bits in the process. I ended up using my everyday bits, with the torch at full blast. I finally cut through.

There must be a better way??
Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Skilled

As has been mentioned above..,carbide is the way to go!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:35 PM

A drill press is a must set on the slowest speed you have and then press down as hard as you can without bending the bit. good luck

Tags
fishing knife, knife