MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 07-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Skilled

Handles

Just curious,
What type of handle material do each of you prefer? For the sake of this thread, let's talk about "hunting and camp" Randall knives instead of fighters. Of course, if someone would like to start a "fighter" thread on handle material, that would be AOK also.
It doesn't really matter to me if you list your "top 3" or whatever. I am just curious to see where everyone's taste lies on this topic. Wood? Stag? Leather? Micarta?...or Exotics like ivory? Let's hear from ya'. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Steel Addict

For hunting/camp type knives, Stag is my favorite. Stag is durable, looks great (usually) and feels good in the hand. Another great thing about stag is the fact that no two knives are ever exactly alike.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Steel Addict

1) Fossil with good color, Blues or Browns just blends in, & to me a handle with a little weight just feels better on a smaller knife.
2) I loved the handle on the fillet knife you passed around @ the RKS mixer Buckeye Burl I believe. I like the exotic woods stabilized, Amboyna Burl is one of my favorites, have about 20 lbs being done @ WSSI as we type.
Both are durable and hold up well no matter what gets on them.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Steel Addict

1) Stag - looks great, good grip, traditional

2) Micarta - uniform shape, very durable

3) Wood - uniform shape, great looks

RKS #5224
Old 07-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

I like stag first, then woods the more exotic the better,amboyna,ironwood,pink ivory,rosewood,thuya burl,madrone and myrtlewood. Ivory is my top favorite,elephant and walrus. Leather is traditonal and classic. Sorry,I really don't care for the micarta and pakkawoods. Just my thoughts,Tom #3081
Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 AM

There's no hesitation from me folks. Stag is by far my run away favourite for a hunting or camping knife.

Most of the reasons have been expressed by Byrdguy, Stephen and Tom above. I would just reiterate that the myriad types of colour, texture, and shape as well as the durability are the main attractions.

Most of all, I get a very special feeling which is hard to put into words, when I'm carrying a beautiful stag handled knife through Mother Nature's world.

Cheers!

David

Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

Hi Friends,

Don't want to be a lemming....But...

1. Stag, For all the above mentioned reasons. Red first, and then the knarlier the better!

2. Wood..I really like Rosewood, but like many of the exotics-with burl.

3. Old white micarda, that has turned yellow.."Yellow Dogs"

4. Ivory..Just don't have any of this yet, but from some of the pictures that I have seen from 1Gunner and SilverKnife, and Rick (B) I would love to have some.

Kent

RKS #109
Old 07-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Skilled

I like them all. I have gotten some recently with stag handles that are big and thick with good bark and color and they would make ideal outdoors users. The wood handles are really pretty for collector knives but I would think many of them would scratch too easily. I know the handle materials the shop uses are durable enough to last a LONG time but scratches on them would bother me so I would go for stag first for a hunting/camp knife. Micarta is obviously EXTREMELY tough and would be ideal except that to me it lacks soul. The yellow micarta is kind of cool as a handle material for one or two of the knives in a good size collection but would be very low on my list of choices if I had only one RMK and it was going to be a user.
Jeff
Old 07-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Skilled

Capt. Chris,

My first Randalls were stag. Nothing spectacular, but I like them. There seems to be some "graying" on the open grain part of the stag. I have some of the same problemo on my newer stag folding knives.

I love ivory, have only one. No chance it will go to the camp or any where else except to Rick Bowles studio.

Sorry wood grip lovers. The "Woodies" remind me of steak knives. I have several dealer specials in wood but they are "investments" and will not ever see the inside of a sheath. Even if I did pick up a "user" the inevitable stains and dents in the wood would put me off.

For my fishing, hunting and camping Randalls I like micarta, especially with right hand finger grips (I am right handed. Go figure.).

Leather? See the Captains fighter grip thread.

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)

Last edited by tomthbomb; 07-18-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Steel Addict

For a camp, hunting or fishing knife i like stag. Especially a nice thick piece that fills the hand.

Steve
Old 07-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "Captain"
Just curious, what type of handle material do each of you prefer?
I like G-10. It's about as strong as anything can be, feels nice in the hand, and the teal color Jim Behrens sells is great! take a look at the Little Bear bowie.

As you can see, I like stag, too. (But for rough work, G-10 is better.)

-Steve

Last edited by cut_n_run; 02-11-2008 at 09:27 AM.

Tags
fishing knife, knife, knives