MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Master

It's likewhat was said earlier different steels for different reasons wheither it be forging or stock removal. I use a lot of different steels because many of my customers want different steels for certain types of knives. I started out using 440C and still do use a lot of it, as well as 1084, 1095, 52100, O-1, S30V, D2, ATS-34, 154CM, RWL-34 and ultiple types of Damascus from different makers. But, the thing is that I always strive to learn how to get the best out of each steel. Wheither it be Sub-Zero Quenching it or multiple tempering. The best thing to do is to learn the steels that you use, as each has it own little Characteristics be it working it or heat treating it. Learn to make the Best Knife with each steel that you use.

I was told by one maker that 440C was an inferrior steel. I explained that when heat treated properly and Sub-Zero Quenched it became almost the equal if not better than ATS-34 that he was trying to promote to a customer. I asked if he would like to put two blades up against each other in a cutting test and he declined. You see it does not matter which steel that you use as long as you optomise the steels characteristics. Wheither it be high composition steel or not make it the best that it can be.
Curtis Wilson

Old 02-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Steel Addict

[quote=B.Finnigan;403014]I am always amazed at the newer makers that immediately jump in and start with the more complex and tougher to work steels. Especially if they forge. How many give up in frustration not realizing that they picked one of the ten toughest steels to start out with?
QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWKnifeman View Post
It's likewhat was said earlier different steels for different reasons wheither it be forging or stock removal.
But, the thing is that I always strive to learn how to get the best out of each steel. Wheither it be Sub-Zero Quenching it or multiple tempering. The best thing to do is to learn the steels that you use, as each has it own little Characteristics be it working it or heat treating it. Learn to make the Best Knife with each steel that you use.
This is exactly what I was trying to say. Now I admit I have edited both of the above posts however, they both make points that I was trying to make! Learn on a steel that is easier to work with. Should you choose to try an "exotic steel", you may have to learn that particular steels characteristics that you are choosing to use. But you never have to relearn the skills that it takes to make a good knife.
The metallurgy side of it is only one part of the process. Granted it is an important part but even if you master it and don't master the other side. The balance, fit and finish, side of making a knife. Well lets just put it this way, "its hard to sell an ugly knife"!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 02-14-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Steel Addict

Ed,
I think you may have nailed it in your last reply. I like several steels but if I made 100 knifes from just one steel I would have probably gotten all I could have from that particular steel in terms of performance and finish (if not I'd have wasted a lot of time). After another 100 or so I'd have probably exhausted my artistic abilities of design/style that that steel's potential allows. Then I would be bored with it. I'd want to try something that offers a different look (maybe damascus), different performace, corrosion resistence, style (hamon) or just plain uniqueness.

The reason I made my first knife was to see if I could, the reason I made my second knife was to see if I could make it better and same for the third one. However on my fourth knife I wanted to make something different entirely - a filet knife that could be used around salt water - ah - stainless with a lot of flex (no more 5160!).

So whether its a desire to improve or a desire to find a better steel for a particular task, I have an inherent need to continue to move on. As the immortal Capt Kirk would say - to explore new worlds!

Tags
cutlery, damascus, fishing knife, fixed blade, forge, forged, forging, hobby, hunting, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, sharpening, supply