MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Steel Addict

Home Stabilizing

I have just received a state of the art laboratory quality vacuum pump, 8CFM and 3 micron. I was wondering if anyone else out there has a similar type pump. What I am wanting to do with it is start doing some serious home stabilizing of wood for friends and maybe even sell some if the quality is good enough. I guess I am looking for any tips or tricks to home stabilizing. I will be construction a large pressure vessel that I can then place a smaller vessel in if I am doing a small batch of wood. I am the type of person that thinks, note the word think, that I can do something myself just as good as a commercial product. Most of the time I do not save much money but I do get a great satisfaction of having done it myself. That is why I have fallen in love with knife making. If anyone has any advice please feel free to let me know, even if it is to tell me I am crazy!

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I can offer my opinion that 90% of all home stabilizing efforts fall very short of commercial results. The difference comes in two major areas: one, the chemistry and two, the available pressure.

The professional chemistry is very expensive and has a short shelf life so you probably won't be using that. There is a good runner up though called Cactus Juice. That seems to be the best alternative available and reportedly does a very good job. Anything else, and I seriously mean anything else, besides the pro stuff or Cactus Juice and you would be wasting your time and money.

The second area is in the equipment. There is a limit to how much vacuum can be drawn, around 29 inches I think, but whatever it is almost any halfway decent vacuum pump can get there so that's the easy part. The professionals use a combination of vacuum and pressure but the pressure is far higher than the average guy can get with his little compressor - thousands of pounds. A really good home setup will force the goo into all the nooks and crannies in a piece of wood but the pro high pressure forces the goo into the woods cells.

I laugh when I read about how someone dyed a piece of wood after they stabilized it. Apparently, they misunderstand what stabilizing means ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Steel Addict

I have used Cactus Juice and stabilize what I use myself. A word of caution...do not try to stabilize large blocks, like 4 x4". I tried, and the process took longer than it was worth doing. It works great for knife scales size and critter parts.

If I didn't already have the necessary equipment, it would not be cost effective for me. For me, it's more of a convenience thing.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:55 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the input guys! So it looks like Cactus Juice and to stabilize smaller bits and pieces.
Ray, I understand what you are saying about the vacuum. The pump I have is one of the profesional units that will draw down to almost 30 inches Hg at 3 microns. That is about as close to ultimate vacuum as you can get. A 3 micron pump will pull a 99.999% vacuum if, and this is a big if, you can build a leak proof container. I think I can get a good stabilizing with that vacuum. I may just run some test scales with Cactus Juice and see what happens. I may give some away here and let some of yall test it too. I am not looking to make money just learn how to do it myself.

Thanks again, Mike
Old 08-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast

Mike, just a note; your vacuum pump is only as good as the oil its using. The lower rated oils will vaporize at the vacuum you are pulling. The oil I buy is rated in Torr, I think the oil I use is 10 to the minus 6th torr.

As far as vacuum / pressure chambers, I cut a HP Helium cylinder is half and welded flanges on the cut ends. The vacuum chamber has a plastic window and an o-ring seal, The pressure chamber has a blank steel flange. I use Argon high pressure welding gas for the pressure.

Mike, I didn't have to go out and buy any of this stuff, it's stuff I already had and use. Like you I like to do things myself. My only investment is the time it took me to put things together. If I didn't already have a welding operation I would not go out and rent a bottle to pressurize stabilizing fluid. If I didn't already have a free cylinder to convert to vacuum and pressure chambers, I wouldn't go out and buy one to stabilize wood.

Having said all of that, I get good results. I section the wood and use an inverted metallurgical microscope to examine the results.

Good luck

John Moran
Old 08-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Skilled

Mike , a quick search in the general bargains sticky produced a thread from a member named Jon Kennedy. His email is bones@plainstatesenergy.com. In a post he said he's been stabilizing wood and other stuff for about 5years. The post I saw was posted in -April of last year.

I have seen a guy advertising clear glass stabilizing chambers for sale in two sizes. I couldn't find the add on here, but you might be able to google search 'glass stabilizing chambers' and find the add.

Good luck! I'd love to test some for you-!

I've been looking for burl every time I go in the woods, no luck so far. If I find any maybe I'll send it to ya!

Alex

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 09-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for all the tips! I have an old air pack tank from the fire department that I plan on turning into a chamber. I will just give it a shot and see what happens. You know what the famous last words of a redneck were dont ya? "hey yall watch this"! Its my moto.

Tags
advice, art, build, easy, fire, for sale, home, how to, knife, knife making, knife scales, make, making, plastic, post, scales, sell, stabilizing, steel, tips, welding, wood, woods