MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Skilled

rounded spine?

Hey guys,
I was messing with some really nice damascus this weekend and thought of an idea. It's probably been done before, but I couldn't find any reference through the search function. I want to round the spine of a damascus twist knife completely over, so it doesn't have any break in the flow of the damascus pattern. Anyone ever done this or seen it done? Pics? I also wanted to grind a convex grind to it without seeing a plunge line. I'm thinking of something like a gradual slope instead of a plunge, but can't figure out how to get it done. Any ideas?

-Dave
Old 07-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Master

I round all my spines, including the two damascus blades I made and no problems, they weren't twisted though, so I don't know how much difference that'll make. For a good plungeless convex, I'd say either a deep choil (like a spanish notch) or a dropped edge sharpened all the way to the rear edge would be the way to go. If you don't do one of those you'll be forced to have a plunge, whether it's a crisp line or a gradual one.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Skilled

I have always felt a rounded spine on a knife makes it more user friendly...
it's alot easier on the thumb when you choke up on it. I'm also of the opinion that a gradual plunge is mechanically stronger, so I like the direction you're going with this. On traditional Japanese swords the edge bevel goes all the way to the end of the tang, but this can make fitting a guard a bit painful. The Robbin Hudson/Charles Ochs style gradual long radiused plunge might be something to look at.
Whatever you do, have fun with it...
Old 07-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Steel Addict

Check out some of Thomas Haslinger's knives. His blades have no plunge on most of them.He can be found at www.haslinger-knives.com/

Paul
Old 07-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Skilled

Great info guys. I looked up all three makers and those are perfect examples of what I was after. Thank you. I really like the idea of leaving the knife with no visible plunge at all, maybe all the way back into the guard and a very rounded spine. I'm after a teardrop shape to the blade if you were to look at it head on. I'm not sure about doing the tang too though. I'm concerned about the transition into the tang. Would I grind to the shoulder and leave the plunge right under the guard face and cover it with solder or jb weld? Also, if I decided to do a long sloping plunge like these knifemakers listed, how would you go about getting it clean and even? I'm still not sure how they grind that type of line. :confused:

-Dave
Old 07-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast

I make a few chef's knives with rounded spines and have always sold out at shows with this design. It is much easier on the thumb and that is very attractive to some. It has probably been the main reason I sell them so quickly. No matter how much work I put into finish or the handle, a flat grind that goes all the way back with no plunge grind on a dropped edge and the rounded spine get the most comments and sales.
Bill
Old 07-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Steel Addict

Twist spine

Here is a view of a knife I finished recently showing the left side of the blade and spine.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Skilled

That's a great picture. I'm glad to hear that most of the attention goes to the rounded spined knives. I have to agree that they are easier on the hand. I'm thinking about making one or two knives this way and see how they sell. Thanks for the info and great pic. Hopefully I can get one done here soon and I'll post some pictures. Thanks again.

-Dave

Tags
blade, knife, knives