MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Steel Addict

Dozier Grinder

Anyone have or used one of these grinders? How good does it work? Any advantages over others?

http://www.dozierknives.com/grinder.html
Old 09-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Never used one and this is my first look at one. Off the top of my head,I would say judgeing from Bob's rep as one of the best knife grinders in the world. I would say he knows what it takes to build a good one. Judging by the price, I would hazard they cut no corners on materials nor craftmanship. Judging by the rave reviews by some of the best of the best....well...I would tend to take their word. Thanks for posting that.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Steel Addict

I like the idea of the air tension. It's the same and constant should the belt grow and would be easily adjusted with the regulator. I like to hear from a user or someone with something similar.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Living Legend

I saw it demonstrated at the Spirit of Steel show about three or four years ago.

Personally I was not overwhelmed. It worked fine and did all the stuff we would need it to do but changing functions was a pain. It took a while to go from platen to wheel. It took forever to get it set up because the air source was messed up and therefore the grinder was non-functional.

I just did not like the fact that if my air compressor breaks, I can't use my grinder.

It would not handle my kind of grinding. The stand is to lightweight and I would tip the thing over backwards. I would have to build a new stand and use the one that came with it for something smaller.

Just my .02

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast

My dad bought one just about a year ago. It's spoiled me rotten. None of the other grinders we have between us has a variable speed control (yet). We've got a Blademaster, a Bader(?), a big honkin' Powermatic, several John LeBlanc grinders, and a little 1x42 Delta grinder.

I thought it was silly to spend that much on a grinder right up until I used it. Now I just about don't use any of the other grinders at all. In fairness, I have not personally used the LeBlanc grinders, and they're in storage till we finish remodeling my parents house (needed the room in the workshop).

It's the easiest of the grinders we have, that I've used, to change functions. Undo the bolt and swap the platten for the contact wheel.

Hadn't thought too much about what to do if the compressor goes out. Guess we could use the portable air tank we use to air up tires. Dunno.

When we went to Mr. Dozier's shop to pick it up he let us use his 3hp grinder. Man that thing could hog out steel quick! We got a 2hp model, but it's still plenty fast on rough cutting the blade blanks. Watching Mr. Dozier turn a piece of steel into a knife, he makes it look so easy! “Making a knife is easy!” he said After playing around with the grinder we got from him, I can say that for me it's much easier on it that on the other grinders I've used.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Steel Addict

gandalf23

How is the tracking?

Does it change when you push against the wheel?

Does the grinder and stand rock back when you push on it as Warner suspects, I thought it weighed around 300 lbs with stand?

Is the 2hp DC setup enough?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast

Trackings easy to mess with. Ours has a "T" handled allen wrench to adjust the tracking, real easy to do, although I always manage to turn it the wrong direction first

I haven't noticed the tracking changing when I push against the wheel. I'll play around on it this weekend and check. I'll take some pictures of it in action, too.

We keep the grinder against the wall right by the rollup door in our shop. To use it we drag it a bit into the doorway so sparks go outside and we get some light. The only time I've noticed it rocking is when one of the feet is on a cable or debris of some sort that I didn't clear out of the way before moving it. It's pretty stable, it weighs at least 200 pounds I'd say.

Yes, the 2hp is enough.

-Mike
Old 09-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry, was in the office all weekend on a rush job. Should be able to get pics this week though.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

The rush job turned into several. Sorry.

Here's pics:

http://gallery.gandalf23.com/grinders
Old 10-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the pics. At the front of the grinder plate, what are the 4 large holes in front of the tapped holes which the brackets mount used for? Does the 14" wheel have bearings in it or are the bearings on the mounting arm like the KMG? Thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

The contact wheel's arm has a threaded hole on it, so when it's attached we put the bolt through the large unthreaded hole and into the threaded hole on the arm. There are four large unthreaded holes so that you can stick the contact wheel at four different heights.

I am not sure where the bearings are on the contact wheel, I will have to go look.

Updated to add:
Took a look at it last night, the bearings are on the wheel, not the arm.

Last edited by gandalf23; 10-12-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Guru

I saw the same demo Bob did. It looked like it ran really smooth and tracked extremely well, even when slack-belt grinding. Other than the variable speed, it didn't seem like it did anything extraordinarily different that any other high-end grinder, though.

Of course, I use a 10 yr-old Grizzly, so driving over cattle gaurds seems like smooth action to me!

Tags
knife