MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:54 AM

Other than the 401....been there and done it as well. I did a lot of key-punch programming in the late 60's using Fortran language. Hated every minute. The only electronic calculators available were in the Science Lab, bigger than a typewriter and bolted to the tables. My little pocket TI-55 III will run circles around them old Wangs and is much more user friendly. But.......either one beat using the old slide rule (I've got at least two Engineering Grade SR's hiding in a drawer somewhere).
My grandson thought they were called abacus's. Just glad I don't have to learn to use one again.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Fortran was my first language and I spent a fair amount of time with an 029 keypunch too. You know the old stereotype of the geek with a pocket protector full of pens? That was me, actual pocket protector AND a circular slide rule. Finally sold my old Post Versalog (22 scales) on eBay about 8 or 9 years ago, still had the hardback manual for it and the leather case. I should still have my father's very, very old bamboo slide rule that I originally learned on around here somewhere.

I remember drooling over the Popular Science article on the first TI pocket calculators but couldn't begin to afford the $1500 price tag. Eventually the prices came down and I forked over $50 for a Bowmar Brain, add, subtract, multiply, divide and nothing more. That thing fritzed out on me in a couple of months. After that, I wore a calculator watch for several years and a large neon sign that flashed 'NERD" .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 01-05-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:45 AM

Just found my old Advanced Calculus book the other day. Must have been a lot smarter back then.......
As Cassius so aptly put it - "Greek to Me!"

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
antique, awesome, battery, brand, buck, build, etch, etching, heat, how to, iron, made, make, man, olsen, plastic, project, simple, solder, store, supplies, supply, tools, tutorial, wood