MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:19 AM

Backspring actuated hidden release not Hubertus

Want to make friends who are knowledgable in making folding knives in particular . And new friends in general . I am a former truck driver . I have way too much time on my hands . I've always loved folders , and autos , I enjoy finely crafted 'anything' have become quite enthused by the very cool creations I have seen done by others . I think it would be great if some knowledgable guy would read this and help me perhaps 'source' any information pertaining to back spring actuated switchblades ; by this I mean that the backspring is integral to open this knife . I had only five minutes to examine a large equal end jack knife thirty years ago , it was leaf spring operated but switched by pressing down on the single large blade and the kick depressed the back spring in which it held a mechanism that ejected a vertical pin from a rectangular slot which held the blade in the closed position . Though only a presumption on my behalf I believe it must have been made after 1958 as it had a nail notch in the blade but was indeed a click knife the only thing that looked different which I'm sure to the untrained eye was near invisible was a slight oval cut through both the liner and the scale{s}? {not sure if it was visable from both sides} in which a horizontal pin was located through the backspring also {I think}and a seeming break or window as viewed from the back side looking down on the backspring which was metal and almost seamless with the rest of the backspring both of these were located of course towards the pivot location next to or under it seems . By action of the curvature of the blade between the kick and the choil the pin would be pushed down and then lock into place upon closing . The oval cut out served to permit this pin through the backspring to move with it as it was depressed .I wonder if anyone has ever seen such a knife ? {by the way it was a lock blade as well and could not be forced to fire by pushing down on the lock in closed postion} I've spent many hours pouring over Epacenet looking at patents from around the world and have come up with nothing so far .The closest thing that may resembele it is one by a guy named Kaufman circa 1800's -early 1900's and of course the Hubertus pen blade release knife {only through pictures / couldn't find a patent on that one either } or a 'lever action' knife by Henkel and similar one by Herder none of which are 'it'. Is there anyone out there that knows anything about backspring release mechanisms ? Are there any more to be explored besides the few I have described ? Anybody know who R.W is ? I'm sure this insn't much of a clue as there has to be a million R.W.s out there .Just one more thing this definately was a 'trick' knife but way not in the same category as the ones commonly found .
Further notes :
Was very nicely constructed , heavy , brown jigged bone scales , nickel plated bolsters , nice steel blade had a gray patina you could see the pin if you looked down into the knife just behind where the blade pivots . There was a flat ground ahead of the choil for the leaf spring to kick out the large clip point blade . How 'bout it is this a challenge to anyone besides me , hope I got someone's curiosity ! Joe in Toledo
Old 03-15-2015, 01:18 AM

Curious about any and all hidden release mechanisms

Hey guys , let me throw in here that I am curious about just about anything pertaining to hidden releases , the ones I am aware of are the bolster release the hidden scale button . Anybody know of any others ?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:17 PM

new update

HOLY grail of switchblade knives ?

TRICK but not a trick knife as was designed by Camillus I think . As was referenced by well known Bill Deshivs in my recent corrspondence with him . I am convinced that this was a one of a kind . Perhaps the maker of this knife was a farmer or a machinist or a regular 'Joe like me who just wanted to make it for his own pleasure , It seems that it could only have been comprised of one or two additional parts built into the backspring . However my efforts to work this out on the drawing board yet so far have been in vain . Seems the guy could have made a fortune had he patented it perhaps because of the era { I can only surmise } since the ban of 1958 . He might have seen little purpose in doing so or maybe he passed away before he was able to . Anyway now I'm only guessing ! I will endevor in my search and remain open to any and all who may have any clues about this elusive knife .
Old 03-19-2015, 10:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to joneill
Wow, sounds very interesting. I am more visual, is there any way you could post some drawings of how you think the pin and slot were located?

Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 PM

Thanks for your interest , drawings in the works

I've been working on a drawing for quite some time sketching by freehand , though things come out obviously disproportunate . Iv'e been teaching myself Libre draw which is a Linux version of a CAD program . Things are going slow so let me describe to you the pin and slot placement . The pin stood up just behind the pivot , vertical and parallel in relationship with the liners and the corresponding slot was cut out on the edge of the blade behind the flat intended to mate with the leaf spring which fired it {somewhere in the curvature of the kick preceding the pivot} not too far removed from the way an ordinary knife is made wih the exception that it had a slightly exagerated kick which served as a fulcrum to 'pry' it away from the 'latch' it is this 'latch' and the rest that has me so mystified as to how it worked . Hope I didn't lose anyone with my choice of terminology ! Joe in Toledo

Tags
1958, back, backspring, bee, bolsters, bone, fire, flat, folding, hidden, jack knife, knife, knives, lock, made, make, making, mechanism, metal, notch, pivot, pivots, pocketknife, release, scale, scales, steel, switchblade