MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-20-2002, 11:20 PM
Raymond Richard

Steel Forge (Steel Supplier and More)

This was found in my junk mail. Might be worth checking into. They will make designer steels and small steel runs of 250 pounds. Could be a way to get some W-2 or some 1086 with out having to order tons.......Ray
www.steelforge.com/
Old 05-21-2002, 06:54 AM
Dana Acker

Good link, Ray. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:50 AM
ghostdog

steel site

Ray thats a kewl site. They even have free software to give away.

ghostdog
Old 05-21-2002, 11:00 AM
JossDelage

Thanks - I passed on the link on a couple other forums, most notably Swordforum.com. I gave you full credit for the discovery.

JD
Old 05-21-2002, 12:59 PM
foxcreek

Some how I got on their mailing list a couple of years ago, and still get a news letter/advertising flier a couple of times a year. I sent them an e-mail one time requesting a price on a minimum order of custom steel and never got a response. I wasn't really serious, so didn't mind. I think a request would need to be written up like an industry insider would do it with all the right jargon to get a response.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:52 PM
armed and hammered4

hmmmmm maybe this could be a possible source of wootz? seeing they will do custom smelts.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:16 PM
Raymond Richard

I just called this place to get an idea on what they would do a small batch of W-2 for. The salesman I talked to would not give me a price, he just talked in circles. In other words I don't believe it would be anything that any of us could affort without paying a few thousand bucks. My hope for W-2 was just dashed against the rocks.........Ray
Old 05-24-2002, 04:29 PM
JossDelage

Hmm... Doesn't make any sense. What did he say when you asked for a price, exactly?

JD
Old 05-24-2002, 06:38 PM
Raymond Richard

JD, He kind of blew me away, like he knew I couldn't afford it so he didn't want to bother with a price. He said now this isn't going to be any 60 cent a pound steel, it will be more like 6 bucks a pound depending on the mix. Right off the top of my head W-2 hasn't got but maybe two alloys carbon and something else that makes it much better the W-l. I'm sure having it turned into barstock would be pricey also. I'll just stick with whats already out there. I've got enough steel now that will most likly out last me any way.......Ray
Old 05-24-2002, 07:35 PM
ghostdog

its them

Ray they must be the guys that supply Vancouver Island.
O1 here is at least 9 bucks a pound, maybe higher.

ghostdog
Old 05-24-2002, 10:13 PM
Raymond Richard

Re: its them

When I first got that in my junk mail sure thought it sounded a little to good, now I know why they call junk mail junk mail. Reminded me on the O-l. Get hold of Ron of Little Hen Knives, he's got a supplier their in Canada that has really good prices on O-l.......Ray

Tags
forge, knives