MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 12-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Question Shumate

I've never really thought of myself as a collector yet I've been finding and buying knives since childhood. I've recently started to wonder about the value of some knives that I have. I recently found this beautiful 2 blade pocket knife with a cady stripe grip at a local second hand store. I found it where I have found so many others, at the bottom of an old tool box. This is the first and only Shumate I have. I went online to try to date it or gather any info I could but all I find under Shumate is razors. Can anyone help me with this? I can't figure out how to upload a photo but I will gladly email you one. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Go here and scroll down the page until you find the Shumate.
http://www.jaysknives.com/antiqueknives_2.htm

Made in St. Louis.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:17 PM

Don, thank you for the link. I was thinking the knife was from the 60's, its hard to believe its from 1928 or earlier considering the material the handle is made of and that I found it in a tool box. It certainly hasn't been kept away wrapped and stored but it has seen abuse and Id venture to say it hasn't seen much use. My real talent comes in the form of knife sharpening and over the years I've learned many different techniques to create many different edges. When I put this blade under my ' edge scope' it doesn't look like its ever been sharpened. I bet the only wear on this knife is from living out its life at the bottom of an old tool box.

Tags
bee, blade, collector, folding knife, grip, hand, handle, how to, knife, knife sharpening, knives, made, material, pocket, pocket knife, sharpening, store