MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
On the bench

Here's my story and i'm sticking to it I started playing around with forging back in March of 2005 and got motivated and bought real gear after meeting the ABS guys at Blade 2005. I went to the Fall Piney Woods Hammer-In and got to talk some more with Bill Moran, Jerry Fisk and others and got REALLY motivated. Then January came along and a new business venture presented itself and i stopped completely until mid-October of this year. As it stands, of the 75-80 projects i had started previous to this one, all except for 4 ended up in the local landfill, and the 4 were kept for dentimental and/or technical reasons....first knife that looked ok and took an edge, and a couple where I didn something cool....screw on buttcap, first ferrule, bluing job, etc. The are all flawed. Most of my screwups happen, as you might imagine, on the grinder, with the lions share being plunge cut faux pas'. With this knife, i decided to lay off the grinder after basic rough grinding and do it by hand......so after 3-4 days of spare time night sanding up to 220, this puppy, while not perfect, is acceptable and ready for clip grinding,stamping, final normalizing and heat treat. The blade is 8 1/2 long and 1/4 thick at the ricasso. The steel is some of Dan Hanson's magic W2. Opinions, anyone? Sorry for the bad pic, but my foto-graffy skillz are suspect at best I will be putting a coffin handle of some kind of exotic wood on it....haven't decided which one yet....I have about 8 different species to choose from.

Last edited by jdm61; 11-22-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Skilled

sheesh...the pic came out of my camera at 640 x 480 and the forum only lets you post 600 x 600....who the hell has square pics these days? i need help...lol
Old 11-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Well, if you can't resize it with PhotoShop or something similar then you'll have to load it to some public photo posting website like villiagephotos.com Then, you can put a link to the photo into your post above and we should be able to see your masterpiece. If you do it that way, your picture can be any size ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers
Well, if you can't resize it with PhotoShop or something similar then you'll have to load it to some public photo posting website like villiagephotos.com Then, you can put a link to the photo into your post above and we should be able to see your masterpiece. If you do it that way, your picture can be any size ...
You just exceeded my bandwidth of computer competence, Ray I'll try. FYI, it is posted on Blade Forums
Old 11-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Master

ive had good luck with http://www.imageshack.us/

simply upload your pic to them then they will give you some link options such as thumbnails, fullsize image, etc. all you do is copy one of the links they give you and paste it here.

looking forward to seeing it.

Tags
blade, forging, knife