MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Skilled

Ray Rogers Liner Lock Folding Knife Tutorial

Ray...I just have to say one thing after going to your Web site and reading your tutorial on making a Liner Lock Knife "Amazing"...I have never made a Liner Lock and am very nervous on attempting it but, this tutorial really put me at ease! You did an outstanding Job on posting this. You make it simple but, I Know it's not easy! I like the part of the tutorial where you are using Cheap parts,just in case you mess up.

I would just like to say...Thank You, for not minding helping us rookies with such
valuable Information. You must be a very unselfish person.

Frank

Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Thanks, Frank. I've never felt that it was right to charge forum members for information since the point of these forums is the FREE exchange of information to help grow our hobby. I had to charge for the first few sets of plans that I made for my hardness tester because building the darned thing cost me so much and I was broke but once my cost was recovered I put the plans up for free. I don't think it's right to try to make an income off the other forum members.

All that aside, the folder tutorial was obviously a lot of work. But, I've made a LOT of folders and in the process I've also made every mistake possible. Each new folder allowed me to refine the process and eliminate a problem. A few things I do now are slicker than the tutorial shows and someday I'll update it with the new info.

If you will follow the instructions step by step in the order they are presented you should be able to produce a working prototype and you'll avoid making most of the mistakes that make liner locks fail. From the letters I've received from all over the world on that tutorial I can honestly say that most of the problems people get into come from simply a} not doing the steps in the proper sequence and b} just looking at the pictures without reading the text.

So, good luck and keep us posted. Send me a pic of the finished knife and I'll add it to the end of the tutorial with the others. And, od course, if you have questions, ask ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Steel Addict

Looks like a great tutorial, I'll have to print it out when I get home.

I started a liner lock several months ago, but screwed it up during the design stage. It simply looks odd. The lock is cut, so I'm hoping I can salvage it.

Tags
folder, folding knife, hobby, knife, knives, liner lock