MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:32 AM

Stolen Knife Alert

This is a first. Phillip and I have never lost anything in the delivery process until now.

The knife below was shipped to a customer in Colorado a few days ago. The box arrived at his PO on saturday. It was/is empty.

Shipping was via USPS Priority Mail. Package was Insured. Return Signature postcard was also included.

Cyclone folder
S30V blade
Ti framelock
LSCF scale - There are a few other Cyclone's out there but this is the only one with LSCF.
Copper/G-10 backspacer

Please be on the lookout for this knife on any other forums you may visit. Keep an eye on Ebay and any other places on the net. If anyone spots it please get in touch with me.

God help the person who stole it because I sure as Hell will not

Old 06-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Skilled

Man that stinks!! I will definitely keep a look out.

Steve

steve@ksrblades.com
Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Guru

Time to call the postal inspectors.

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 06-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNet View Post
Time to call the postal inspectors.
I'll get that ball rolling first thing monday morning.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

Barry:

I'm sure glad you had it insured. Insured packages are tracked from delivery point to delivery point within the USPS so under normal circumstances they would know where the box was lost. However, in this case the box made it. Good luck dealing with the post office... there's nothing fun about that.... or quick.

One side note is it's a wake up call for me because I occasionally ship uninsured. We need to make it a practice to ship insured always.

Great to see you at the Blade Show.

Russ
Old 06-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Master

Send a message via MSN to ArtinNC
They picked a good knife to steal, That is the third one that I'v heard about lately.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Skilled

Barry any update from the post office? I would guess it will take forever, its the post office for goodness sakes.

Steve

steve@ksrblades.com
Old 07-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Good luck dealing with the USPS. I took yesterday off to receive a custom knife that was to be delivered. Early afternoon, I checked the mail and had the form that they had missed me. They never came to the house. When I finally talked to some one with some sense at the USPS, they claimed the mail carrier was not sure which house it was. I have only lived there 21+ years.

The station manager did have the mail carrier bring it back out to me. I have another package to be delivered today and I hope it goes better than yesterday.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 AM

Lotsa luck guys. I self-insure to a great extent, because I don't like to pay postal rates for insurance. It doesn't seem to matter anyway.....I insured a knife for $50 in October 2011 and the empty package was delivered. I immediately filed loss claim and am still waiting for payment. Amazing part is that USPO won't give out names to call.....just keeps telling me I have to wait cause they're manpower short.
I still ship insured cause it's easier to trace and someone has to sign for the packages, BUT.....forget collecting in event of a loss......
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Guru

Over the last 2 years I have had a good number of problems with the postal system at my new house. I have had mail delivered to some other house and items lost. The local post office told me I could file a claim but they put that back on the delivery driver to pay and they just file a grievance since they are union and nothing happens to that claim. As for empty box delivers they just say we did our job and the box was delivered and the shipper failed to secure the box OR the end user is trying to scan the system. Either way it's a bad case to be in.

In my case the local post office is the problem.

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 AM

Sorry to revive this old thread.

Sorry to revive this but I need to add some information.

I have this knife. I have been in contact with Barry who was denied his insurance claim after calling him a few months ago advising him I got it. The USPS denied his claim based of them saying it was delivered....the empty box.

It was bought by me from the USPS Mail Recovery Center in Atlanta (everything in the USA that gets lost/damaged/claim payed is auctioned off here in large catagorized lots) in a large box of assorted knives. I have been a known buyer there for the last three years and generally buy knives/accessories. Most of the knives I get are chinese junk that are sold to flea market sellers. Every now and then I find some good knives. I found this knife that had the Jones Brothers logo on it and (as a member on bladeforums.com) posted it looking for info. I received word it was a Jones brothers logo and googled....finally finding this thread.

I paid several thousand dollars for the box of knives this came in and am an ebay power seller with over 2000+ feedback under this "Raiderbeater" name. I am also a 2100+ feedback seller on gunbroker.com under kncook. I also have tons of feedback in the EE on AR15.com under kncook. I am a 9 year veteran Sheriffs Deputy at a larger agency in metro Atlanta and have my own S-corp business named Raider Tactical Inc.

I had originally notified Barry how I came by the knife fully expecting some skepticism for his good luck. I sent him both a picture of the knife as well as a copy of the USPS MRC receipt from the auction I bought it at. I advised him to let me know if the USPS honors his claim and to call me if he had trouble getting them to pay him....as I have the ability to prove to them that they lost the knife.

I did not have any contact with Barry for several months and called him the other day to see how the process was going. He advised me the claim was denied (as the empty box was scanned on delivery) and he had no options. I had originally asked if I could get them to pay out his insurance money if we could swing a deal and I would send the knife back to him (the one I bought) for the amount he insured it. That way everyone wins. He gets paid by the USPS, I get paid for my knife, and he gets his old knife back with no one paying anything except the USPS who lost it.

During our recent phone call Barry asks why I'm holding HIS knife hostage. I politely advised him that the knife is owned by me. He adhered to the USPS policies/risks for shipping the knife through the mail and is getting screwed by the USPS because they delivered the empty box to his customer....so no ins payout. I again advise him to get me the claim number so I can get the USPS to pay out his claim of over $650 to him. I talk to the USPS MRC manager weekly and have the receipt. Situations like this happen often at the MRC as buyers resell different merchandise and come across previous owners. He has yet to do any of this...all I need is just a claim number to help him. If he decides to keep the money, it's his....more power to him. If he decides to purchase the knife back from me....great. I was holding the thing waiting on him the whole time. If he decides against letting me get his money back that's his choice. If he decides to demand I give him my knife.....uh...no.

I have tried working with him but have gotten nowhere. I still have the knife and if he decides to get the non-personal info I need from him great....my offer is still good. If not....then someone else my purchase my knife if I decide to sell it (Not advertising here....will not sell at this time).

Last edited by Raiderbeater; 01-27-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Skilled

Were it me, I'd send the knife back to him(Or to the person it was meant for to begin with.) and take the loss. You know it's his, and you got it by happy accident.

But hey, it's your karma.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM

Happy accident is when you find something on the street. I could have sold the thing to begin with as everything us buyers at the auction buy was going from someone to someone. Just like the storage wars show....all that stuff belongs to someones grandpa that died or an old widow that forgot about it. My livlihood does not involve spending three thousand on a box of knives that I sometimes make a few hundred bucks on to give away $650 of it when a easy remedy to make someone happy or satisfied is available.

What you're asking is akin to me asking you to pay me $650 from your paycheck so I can send it to Barry.....just take the loss...right?

Last edited by Raiderbeater; 01-27-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Were it me, I'd send the knife back to him(Or to the person it was meant for to begin with.) and take the loss. You know it's his, and you got it by happy accident.

But hey, it's your karma.
No...no it isn't. When barry shipped his knife he agreed that he could lose posession of it if it was lost or stolen and would need to go through the insurance process. It's in the print when you ship. The USPS took possession of the knife and sold it to me...the owner of the knife. If Barry had no insurance on the knife he would be SOL. The USPS is screwing him over by denying his claim. Which I am trying to fix for him.

Last edited by Raiderbeater; 01-27-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Master

Send a message via MSN to ArtinNC
Well. this sounds kinda shady to me.

Tags
back, bee, beginning, blade, collecting, custom, custom knife, easy, file, forge, hidden, knife, knives, made, make, man, package, post, simple, tactical, throw