MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Steel Addict

First pointer, don't wear flip flops in the shop
Do yourself a favor, buy some Acraglas from Brownells. Go buy some syringes from a vet store. Use them to measure a smaller quantity of epoxy. This stuff is amazing. Search for the Acraglas thread I started a few months ago. Lots of good info in it from Ray and those guys.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Steel Addict

I am curious as too holes you have drilled in the handle. I realize you are using those with the screw to hold it in place while you file. However, holes for pins tend to look much better with a symmetrical look to them. Also centered in the handles width tends to give a more even holding power. You may want to move the holes for a more symmetrical look!

Don't worry about the extra holes as I often drill holes in the handle to let the epoxy bond through the handle bonding from side to side of the scales. The extra holes are not seen, because the scales covers them.

A file guide helps to keep you plunge line on both sides even. Here is an example.

http://usaknifemaker.com/file-guide-precision.html

They are not that expensive or you can make your own, if you have the ability to drill and tap for the bolts!

Here is one I made from a piece of mild steel key-stock and then I epoxied carbide strips to it so I can file right against it and not wear down the file guide itself! I heated it and bent it the drilled and tapped it for a couple of bolts! This is not a good pic but you can see it being used in the pic, and you can see the carbide strips on it!

Use either a sharpie or dykem to mask the blade and then you can use a scribe to put a line on the blade to keep the blade cut even from side to side.

Just a few ideas that may help you out!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 07-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast

@Naboyle- I was getting to leave and wanted to put pictures on Facebook. In all honesty I don't even use the grinders or dremels in the garage. I have a folding table I move everything to outside. When I etched I decon'd and hand the garden hose with water going. Acraglass is the cats for bedding rifles too. No experience with it so I will check it out.

@C Craft- that rig looks more precise the what I am doing. How much time are you spending on the filing? I am thinking of going to a belt sander set up. On the holes. I would definitely have done it differently. The holes I ended up with are pretty straight. I like your blade too. I'll have to check out your pictures.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

Well if gave it away for Christmas to my dad. He loved it.

Tags
advice, art, back, bee, bevel, blade, digital, easy, edge, file, files, forge, hand, home, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, making, material, sheath, software, steel, step by step, store