MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-06-2001, 03:39 PM

learning to pattern weld

Hello-
I was wondering if anyone had links to sites for pattern welding. I saw the tutorial w/ the chain saw blades. I am new to knifemaking and forge welding but not new to the metal trades (welding and fabricating).

Thanks, Jim
jhines at lakes.com
Old 12-06-2001, 06:27 PM
Ed Caffrey

Pattern Welding

Hi Jim!
Welcome to the fourms! Not knowing your current level of experience in forging, my suggestion as a base line would be to pick up a book or two. A couple that cover the basics are "The Art of Blacksmith" by Alex Bealer, and "The Complete Bladesmith" by Jim Hrisoulas. If you already have the basic concepts, it would be great if you could get together with someone who has a shop, and knows how. I really don't think there is a tutorial or publication that can actually teach you forge welding. I say this because there are so many variables and bit of "feel" for how to do it. The good thing is once you've done it, it's like the old bike riding analogy, you just know how. I could expalin all the technical aspects of how it works, but it's tough to visualize.
We'd be happy to help in whatever way we can, so just keep asking questions, and we will answer!

Tags
forge, forging