MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 09-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Skilled

One of my bestest friends was William R Williamson... Bill was a retired millionare Pharmacist that devoted his life to hunting the true Bowie knife.... He really liked Schively.... there was something about this knifemaker that Bill thought rang true.. I think we should hold on to the legends and myths .. it gives our history Color and not only makes our lives fuller and brighter , But in any myth or legend there is an element of truth and I for one will give our ancestors the benifit of the doubt..... for 23 years I made knives exclusively for Owsley Frazier... they are all marked HALE\FRAZIER ... this simply means that Hale made them for Frazier and they belong to him and him alone.. Now, I have no doubt that in a hundred years the knife historians will have it that there was once a couple guys named Hale and Frazier that made Art knives back in the old days... God that depresses me no end... and I'm sure Mr. Fraziers Biographers will have him as the Brains and Brawn behind the outfit.......

Last edited by Lloyd Hale; 09-05-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I like the Schively also. It reminds me of a transitional pattern between the Forrest and the Searles.

Edwin Forrest

Schively/Perkins

Searles/Fowler

The Searles is my favorite. There is a real nice pic of one in the Antique Bowie book. I could post a pic of it if anyone would like.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Skilled

From a makers stand point the Searles offers the most challange... in the 1970's I made a few variations of it for collectors... the only really authentic true reproduction of this knife was made by Buster Warenski for the Washington Arkansas Museum... God I loved that Man and will always miss him... He was a knifemaker's Knifemaker.....

Old 09-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Hall of Famer

I have never seen that one, but I'll bet it is fantastic! I love his Frisco style bowie/daggers.
Buster ]

Old 09-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Hall of Famer

The pic of the Forrest Bowie above is not a very flattering one. there is a black and white photo in Levines 4th. Edition reprinted from, I think, the December 93 Blade Magazine. Do you have any better pics of it? Some may not know that W.R. Williamson owned the Forrest bowie. You say "was"? Has he passed on? If so, who owns it now? Did you get to handle it personally. What a thrill! Sorry for all the questions, but you have me bouncing in my seat!!!!!!!

Old 09-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Hall of Famer

I doubt your work will ever be confused with the Frazier name. I had never even heard of him till you mentioned his name last year. I had always heard it mentioned like this. "Lloyd Hale, for many years, made custom knives exclusively for a big time collector". When ever someone makes a list of the greats, you are always on it. Our record keeping seems to have improved since Jim Bowie's day. So I would not worry about it if I were you. Just for fun, here is your listing in Levines4th.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 09-06-2005 at 03:33 PM. Reason: bigger pic
Old 09-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Better pic from the cover of the Williamson book.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Skilled

I think I should write Mr. Lavine and correct those dates... I had no idea that data was out there... and it's wrong... Thanks for enlightening me.... It was a thrill for me in the late 1970's while visiting William Williamson at his home in Santa Barbara Calif. He took me inside his walk in Antique Vault..... it was full of all these priceless old knives and Guns.. Absolutly breath taking..... I've enjoyed sharing these moments with you guys and by the way--- the story about the Donkey was true.... I had several adventures while living and making Bowies at Washington Arkansas... one thing... those old timers down there all had stock ponds on their property with some of the biggest large mouth Bass I've ever seen......

Old 09-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Glad to have brought that to your attention. I was wondering about it as I read it for some reason. Mr. Levine says often to please correct him if you find he has made a mistake. He has two knife ID forums one atKnifeforums and the other at Bladeforums . I am sure I am a pain to him as I show my ignorance on both forums often. I find that I learn more from my mistakes than from my successes. Some say it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, rather than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. I would rather ask and be corrected as to assume something that is not true.

I was snooping around trying to find some info on Mr. Williamson and ran across a repo of the Forrest bowie made by P.J. Tomes and found that pic of the Williams book. It says in the text Mr.Tomes got to handle and measure the knife to make his reproduction. I cannot imagine being able to view in person, let alone hold one of these historical items. Dr. Lucie let me handle his Scagel collection and it was nerve wracking to say the least.

Tomes/Forrest bowie

Old 09-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Skilled

You are doing a great Job Ron ... thanks for all your input..

Old 09-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I sure am enjoying this thread
Old 09-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Speaking of the Searles. Here is a pic of the one you made Lloyd. This one I really like. The fluted handle adds elegance to the whole package.

Sorry about the pic. Here is some better ones. Hale slideshow

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 09-07-2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Hall of Famer

More snooping lead me to this site that said it was the Butterfields Auction for the Williamson collection. No pic of the Forrest, But I am still searching for a good clear photo of it.
Butterfield, Williamson auction

I am amaized at how much of Bill Williamsons writings that I have read without even knowing it.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 09-07-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Lastly. Myth has it that if you are given a knife as a gift, you should give something in return to avoid something bad from happening to you. Even if it's only one cent. I think this originated from the Vikings. Any ideas or info on this ?
Don't know about the Vikings but my grandmother swore by this one. She also said that if one person opened a pocket knife, another one could not close it or bad luck would result.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

I heard you had to return a knife in the same position that you passed it to someone in, so if it was closed when you hand it to someone, they could open it and use it as long as they closed it before handing it back..it's bad luck otherwise ...and if you recieve a knife as a gift you should give something in return or your friendship would be cut... I wonder who thinks up all these stories???

Tags
blade, bowie, ca, cutting, folding knife, forge, forging, heat, knife, knives, white