MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Steel Addict

Need a motor

Hey guys,
I need some help finding a motor for a new disc sander I'm building. This is going to be a slow RPM sander that I'll use for flattening and polishing tangs or handle scales. I've been working in Larry Harley's shop on a little sander that he built, and I love it. Problem is, I can't find a motor. Larry has a right angle gear motor, similiar to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=26209 I've been watching eBay for a while, and can't find one. They're either DC, or they're too slow. I'm looking for something in the 70-100 RPM range. Anybody got any ideas? It doesn't have to be a right angle motor, but that's all I can find in this RPM range. Thanks!

Josh
Old 02-15-2003, 11:44 PM

Thumbs up Re: Need a motor

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Blount
Hey guys,
I need some help finding a motor for a new disc sander I'm building. This is going to be a slow RPM sander that I'll use for flattening and polishing tangs or handle scales. I've been working in Larry Harley's shop on a little sander that he built, and I love it. Problem is, I can't find a motor. Larry has a right angle gear motor, similiar to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=26209 I've been watching eBay for a while, and can't find one. They're either DC, or they're too slow. I'm looking for something in the 70-100 RPM range. Anybody got any ideas? It doesn't have to be a right angle motor, but that's all I can find in this RPM range. Thanks!

Josh

Josh check out this web page www.surpluscenter.com. It has a bunch of motors that will work for you. Mike
Old 02-16-2003, 12:28 AM
Enthusiast

Josh,If you check scrap yards floor polishers have a reduction motor often 1/2 hp or larger. although they are a pain to adapt.for other uses..
Old 02-16-2003, 07:14 AM
Enthusiast

Josh
I used a
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35098
I rotated the low RPM end 90 degrees and mounetd a 12 inch flat disc from a grizzly disc grinder. I bought it as a repalcement part from grizzly for about $25. Does require a new shaft. I think mine was 3/4 inch on one end and the other turned down for the grinder bearings and gear. It will probably not last as long as a unit like Larry's, but it works.

Gary (pupandcat)
Old 02-18-2003, 05:27 AM
Enthusiast

Ebay

You might want to check out Ebay for them. I am looking as well and having the same problem you are. I keep looking at ebay though and they seem to have some nice stuff. I saw this... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=26226 and thought of you. It is 5000 rpm, but only 1/15 HP...

Michael
Old 02-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Steel Addict

Hey guys,
Thanks a bunch for the help. Those are good links. When I finally get the sander done I'll post some pictures. Thanks again!

Josh
Old 02-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

extending an arbor

I'm looking at a bench grinder that has a 1/2 inch arbor. Can I extend this arbor to power grinder with a contact wheel?

Michael