MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-09-2001, 07:03 AM
Vaquero57

motor

Well I think after all this talk I may build a grinder. Just shut up and do it right. I have been back and forth between buying and building for over a month now. I am pretty handy there is no reason I can't build a good grinder more solidly than what I could spend the same amount on. I have a 2hp 3450 rpm motor. For simplicity reasons I wanted to build a direct drive. Buy with a pulley that has a bigger circumfrence than the shaft of the grinder say 4-5" won't that boost my belt speed higher than the rpm of the motor. I suppose I can't build one this way with the motor I got huh? It sounds complicated to try and machine a shaft with bearings for the step pulley design. It would be so much easier to just attach a pulley directly to the shaft. Cory
Old 02-13-2001, 06:44 PM
Frank Niro

Hi it's me again Cory. I think I can help you with this direct drive pulley thing. With a constant speed machine I believe you should try to keep the speed below 3800 ft. per minute.This will probably help you with your grinding and finish as well. I believe your choice of the 2 hp. motor for flat grinding was a good one. A 4" drive wheel on a 3450 motor will give you just over 3600 ft. min.. I know this will work because I have used it for years and several makers I know are pleased that they have gone to this . The formula to use is 2x3.14x the radius of the drive wheel you think you may want to use divided by 12".
Old 02-14-2001, 08:57 AM
Geno

Good advice Frank.
Cory - go for it. I would suggest a step pulley because of the fast motor. Most local knife supply centers will have the parts you need. (TKS, Jantz, Koval...)
Put it all together and brag a little.
If I can help in any way don't hesitate to call on me.

Tags
knife