MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Enthusiast

I went ahead and attempted a HT on my test knife from the mower blade. I found heat control with my brake drum forge was relatively easy so I brought it up just to just where it lost magnetism then just a tiny bit more. I was surprised at how dull red it was at that point. But the entire blade was evenly heated. I dunked it water, since I didn't think it would work at all. At this point it skates a file but that's all I know lol.

Last edited by Steve Meyer; 05-18-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:03 AM
Skilled

I use a 4x36 and what I did was cut some notches into the plenum. Doing that gave the 4x36 the ability to cut nice plunge lines.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast

That was my plan. I have some thick hard plastic from old snake neo setup that I was going to use to raise the deck as well.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Steel Addict

Well Steve, looks like your on your way to being broke the rest of your life. There's always a knife you'll want to make or a steel to try but at least you'll stay out of trouble.

One thing you want to think about is I see you didn't drill your handle for pins. In my opinion pins are a requirement not an option. You can drill your knife after HT with carbide drills but it will be a lot harder to do.

Erik
Old 05-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

This knife is just getting a paracord wrap. thank you. I have the bit to drill the hole in the handle, though I did forget that.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:23 PM

eventually you will want a 2 x72 grinder. I just have the cheap grizzly, not one of the expensive ones, but is much better than the upside down belt sander and the 1 x 30 that I started with.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:09 PM
Hall of Famer

I personally like the Coote grinder because of it's flexibility but I met a Master Knifesmith who at least earned his Journeymans stamp with two Grizzly grinders. It's all in what you do with them.

Doug

Old 05-24-2016, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast

My 2 cents worth, I'm a little leery of Harbor Freight power tools that will be used very much. Have had a few problems with quality on their stuff.

Have you checked Craig's List? I found an older Dayton 1x42 belt grinder there for $75. I get belts from Grainger Industrial Supply. Fortunately there is a store a couple miles from my house, but here is the web site: (https://www.grainger.com)
They have a good selection of quality belts, which makes a difference too.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:15 PM
Steel Addict

Welcome Steve.

If you're looking fora 2x72, I built mine with the NWG (No Weld Grinder) plans from http://www.usaknifemaker.com/. I welded mine, so it's pretty solid.

Tags
1084, angle, back, bee, belt, belt sander, bevel, blade, design, edge, files, forge, forging, grind, handle, heat, heat treat, heat treatment, knife, knife s, making, metal, sander, sharpening, steel