MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 05-04-2009, 11:52 PM

Knives from the Santa Barbara Premier Art Showcase (knife show)

I recently got to fill in for the official knife show photographer (who unfortunately had to cancel) at a promising new show out in Santa Barbara, CA. It was quite an adventure - challenging, stressful and rewarding too. Here are a couple of basic knife shots from the show:

And an example of more elaborate treatment:

Feel free to comment, critique and discuss.

I am very grateful to the professional photographers who have helped and encouraged me during these past 5+ years during which I gradually developed the skill set needed to step in as a substitute show photographer: Jim Cooper, Eric Eggly, Terrill Hoffman and Chuck Ward. And I am equally grateful to the participants on this forum, past and present, who make this such a great place to learn and grow.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Steel Addict

Buddy,

Nice work as always and sharp from tip to bolster of knife. I like all the backrounds you choose for each knife and like the contrast on the 2nd knife. The 3rd picture really pops on that backround. A question that comes to mind is did they provide the lighting for you at the show or did you need to bring your own equipment? What lens did you shoot with? Finally, approximately how many knife makers were attending the show?

I have a general question for you regarding your tilt shift lens. Do you find the 90mm too long for knife/product photography? Presently I use either my 50mm prime or 35mm prime, but I also used my 24-70 quite a bit prior to getting the primes.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 PM

Thanks, Barbara. Please see my responses in blue below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Turner
A question that comes to mind is did they provide the lighting for you at the show or did you need to bring your own equipment? I took my own lighting and everything else I needed with me. The only lighting they provide is what I call "hotel yellow." It's more like anti-lighting.

What lens did you shoot with?Canon TSE 90mm

Finally, approximately how many knife makers were attending the show?There were approximately 100 table holders.

I have a general question for you regarding your tilt shift lens. Do you find the 90mm too long for knife/product photography?Yes and no. My shooting table is about 36 inches high. For blades over 15 or 16 inches I will sometimes have to extend my tripod to almost max and stand on a 12 inch step. Also, the minimum focusing distance is not ideal - something like 18 or so inches. There's an easy solution though. Canon makes a small extension tube for all three of their TSE lenses which brings the minimum focusing distance down to about six inches. Sometimes I'm tempted to get the 45 mm TSE and use both, depending. For knives and such I think 70mm would be perfect.

Presently I use either my 50mm prime or 35mm prime, but I also used my 24-70 quite a bit prior to getting the primes.All three of those lenses are excellent for this kind of photography. I've used my 24-70 lots in the past. The only reason I don't now is that I like the 90mm TSE and I don't like taking the lens off of the camera (to avoid sensor dust). I have a second body that always has either my 24-70 or even better, my 70-200 f2.8 L IS (image stabilization), probably my favorite lens for almost everything except knives.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Steel Addict

Thank you for your responses. I didn't realize the minimum focus distance was 18" on the TSE 90.

Mike and I went to a Blacksmith convention this past weekend and they had a roll of seamless white paper and lights set up so you could photograph anything you wanted. I choose not to use the photo station, but I thought it was very nice that one was set up for our use. You can see the photo area in the upper left of the photo below. The photo was taken with the 35L.

I have tried the 100mm macro and find (for me) it's too long. My table height is around 30" or so.

How did you enjoy the experience, being show photographer and if asked would you do it again? What did you take with you lighting wise?

Last edited by Barbara Turner; 05-06-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Turner
I didn't realize the minimum focus distance was 18" on the TSE 90. Yes - that's pretty good for what is effectively a telephoto lens.

I have tried the 100mm macro and find (for me) it's too long.That's said to be a very sharp lens, great for stuff like bug on flower where you don't want to get too close and scare the bug away. It should also be great for knife detail insets.

How did you enjoy the experience, being show photographer and if asked would you do it again?It's a huge piece of work, physical and mental. The travel (especially air travel) is a big part of the push and the stress. This August will by my third year as show photographer here in Denver at the Professional Knifemakers Association (PKA) Show. The fact that I live here makes it much more doable. As far as filling in for another photographer at a distant location, yes, I would do it if my schedule permitted and it if the show held a special interest for me, either by virtue of location and/or the people involved. However, all of that wouldn't matter if I hadn't made the decision several years ago to work toward becoming mobile. So yes, I enjoy the experience for the multi-facetted challenge of it, for the superb educational value of it and for lots of other reasons. But no question that it is an absolutely humongous piece of work.

What did you take with you lighting wise?One large soft box with boom stand. One additional light that I can move around and clamp wherever I need it. Four daylight balanced florescent photo bulbs (two extras). Various reflectors, tape and clamps. A role of diffusion paper and a crossbar stand to hold it up. I think that's it for lighting related stuff.
Additional thoughts:
All my gear fit in two checked bags and two carry-on bags. Neither checked bag was over-weight. TSA made a mess out of my packing job and damaged a few of my background papers. And to top it all off, when I got back to Denver, loaded everything in my car and went to exit parking, I realized that I mistakenly parked in a short-term area where the $24 per day max did not apply. My parking tab was almost $200 for the weekend. Ha! Sometimes you just gotta laugh to keep from losing it.

Tags
forging, knife, knives