MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > General ::: Items and Bargains

General ::: Items and Bargains Good deals on useful items for sale by Knife Network members

Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 PM

Walrus Ivory- HUGE fossil tusk for sale

Hello, I am new here, so I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Joe, I am a metal fabricator from Georgia who loves to tinker in all sorts of metalworking.

I have recently acquired a very large fossil walrus tusk that I would like to sell. I am not sure how this is normally handled, especially with an expensive item, but I am willing to make the transaction through escrow services, or whatever is the norm here.

It is 30" long on the outside curve, a little over 3" wide at the base, with a circumference of 7.75" at the widest. It weighs 6 pounds and four ounces.

It has been broken twice at the end, once about 3" from the tip, and again about 8" back, it was glued back together with regular super-glue. It should come apart easily with solvent.
the largest piece is crack free until the first break.

Here are some photos.

I'm asking $1500, I am somewhat negotiable.

Please let me know if anyone is interested.

I am willing to cut it if there is enough interest in smaller pieces.

Thanks.

Last edited by joeh6922; 07-25-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:11 PM

I'm open for suggestions guys.

By the way, I'm a top seller on Ebay with over 6,000 sales. I had this listed, but they cancelled the auction after a couple of days.

Like I said before, if enough of you were interested I'd be willing to cut this into smaller pieces. I'll make cuts on request, slabs, scales, whatever you want.

I'd love to trade a slab or two for a Damascus bar. I dabble in blacksmithing, and have made a few knives in the past. Just a few spike knifes, and another two I made from 5160 salvaged from a leaf spring.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Skilled

Are you sure that is fossilized walrus ivory ?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
That was my question.....Are you sure it's fossilized? Generally there is SOME color variance (however slight) when it's fossilized.
Anyway, I suspect you'll have a difficult time getting $1,500 out of it with how "plain" the tusk is, and the fact that it's been broaken/glued.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 PM

I was told it was retrieved from the ocean floor.
That's all I know, and that fits the legal definition of fossilized, when it comes to these.

I am confused by the second comment. From what I can see everywhere on the net, nice white tusks like these are preffered, and sell for alot more than the stained ones. I'm seeing unbroken tusks of this size and color for anywhere between $2,500 and $3,000. Considering it will be cut up for the ivory anyway, I thought I was lowballing.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I'll probably hate myself later for telling you this.. But as far as ivory for knifemakers....the more color the better. Blues, greens, blacks, and salmon colored ivory is the most sought after, and commands the highest dollar values. For us, color and quality are the most important characteristics.

The "nice white" tusks likely are preferred by ivory collectors who plan to display the tusk/artifact, but speaking only for myself, based on the color and the fact that it's been broken/repaired, that tusk rates on the lower end for knifemakers.
I suspect you would have much more luck selling it to an ivory collector then to knifemakers.....ALTHOUGH, there might just be some "junior" knifemakers who would like it.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 PM

Sold.

Thanks!

Tags
back, bee, blacksmithing, damascus, for sale, ivory, knives, made, make, scales