MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 05-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Skilled

"Rooskoized" Blacksmith knives

Robert posted a nice little blacksmith knife that got me interested. Forged these (and a couple more) out of 3/8" 01 round stock while heat treating and working bigger blades. Wrapped with rawhide, sealed with Danish oil and a braided rawhide lanyard. Triple quenched and triple tempered. Bigger one is 3 1/4" blade and the other 2 3/4". Lots of fun and a big help in learning better hammer control.
Rick

Old 05-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Living Legend

Nice.Fun aint they

Old 05-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Skilled

Lookin good Rick. They will definitely teach you something about hammer control because about the only mistakes you might be able to hide with a grinder is on the blade itself.

Now work on those "built-in" finger guards. I watched Wes Byrd do one last year at Bowie's Hammer-in, and knew I had to try it. They work great and look pretty cool.

My sympathy goes out to you and your family on your forging addiction. If we had only stayed away from that pusher, Crex.......... but I'm afraid its too late, we are hooked.

Robert
Old 05-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Skilled

Yup, I'm drifting down that black hole filled with more tongs, hammers, different steel and it's all Crex's doing. Did you notice at Track Rock how he shamelessly hooked those real young boys? Those youngins' will now face a life time of this addiction. I believe he was smiling as he did it!
Rick
Old 05-17-2006, 09:02 PM

You bet I'm smiling! Couldn't stand being the only addict in a herd of grinders. All I can say is, if you haven't taught a kid to forge you haven't lived. They will be the heart of the game some day so you got to start them early.
You guys just keep moving toward the light, it'll be alright. I can hardly wait for the next Trackrock fix.
Got up to see Sandy on Tuesday. Great visit and got to meet some of his fine neighbors. Nice guys. Thanks Pop, for all the tips. The retaining strap idea worked out great. Hope you're taking it easy until the Doc gets back in town. Make sure you eat something. I'll be checking in on you early next week.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Hall of Famer

I love these little knives, and the leather BUT, you guys are nuts

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 05-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Skilled

There seems to be a lot of "Pushers" in this business. "Romey, the Montana Cowboy", "Bowie", Wes Byrd, I could name several others. They all have that certain look in their eye.

When I first met Crex, he had a twinkle in his eye as he said, "Come over here sonny", and handed me a hammer as he pointed to a hot piece of steel. "Here, take a "Hit" on this....... Try it, you'll like it". That is how it all begins. You fall victim to his trap and you give it a "Hit". Then when no one is looking, you try it on your own.......... You don't let your family members know that you have tried it, but it soon becomes so overwhelming, that you can no longer keep it hidden.

Then your addiction gets worse as you go on a search for anvils, forges, tongs, hammers......... Then you are up half the night taking "Hits", driving the neighbors nuts......(Everyone realizes you have changed, but no one can figure out how this started......... "Have mercy, where will it end?"

You attend meetings, but your addiction only gets worse. You publically admit that you are an addict. You share your addiction with newfound friends, and still it consumes you.......... You are doomed to a life of "Hits".

Yes friends and neighbors......... I admit it....... I AM AN ADDICT.

Robert
Old 05-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Skilled

My name is John, I m an adict. Is there a twelve step progam ? Is there any hope ?
jc

GEORGIA CUSTOM KNIFEMAKERS GUILD / CHARTER MEMBER
Old 05-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Skilled

Only twelve steps I know of are the ones that lead down into the basement shop. No hope, no hope....... Gonna get my fix Friday!! Beads of sweat are already forming on my forehead.
Rick
Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Master

'Tis a slippery slope that's for sure! And I don't mean your stairs Rick Man we have to hunt down these forge pushers and put them in front of a grinder :-P

Paul Vandine
Old 05-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to sdcb27 Send a message via Yahoo to sdcb27
I have no idea why i am implicated in the addiction i was standing there minding my own buisness and offered a hit, can i help it if fire is a wicked misteress FORGERS RULE GRINDERS DRULE!!!!!!!! there i said it, hehehe well thats what Robert said anyway Btw Robert your forging is coming along really nice, im diggin the "Smith" knives guys

http://www.highcountryknives.com

Last edited by sdcb27; 05-18-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:42 PM

Hey, I'm not the bad guy here either. I didn't force anyone. They didn't have to take that first hit. I'm no addict either....................I can stop anytime I run out of fuel or my arm drops off!

By the way, how many of you grinder guys can make a full size bowie out of a big lock washer? So easy you wouldn't believe it!

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 05-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

The really sad part is that these anvil junkies get others involved in their habitual pounding. Look how much fun I'm having. Try this. Do it this way........AW H>$&& let me show you, give me the hammer. LOL

J. Scott
Old 05-28-2006, 05:08 AM

Hey Robert, finlly found the picture of one of my "first" blacksmith knives. Made this back in the '90's for my mom to use trout fishing. I believe it was out of 32" cir. sawmill blade stock. Haven't posted a pic in awhile so hope this works.
Close ups of the scrimshaw work can be found on my gallery at www.georgiaknifemakersguild.com

[image]http://georgiaknifemakersguild.com/home/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album16/Moms_BS.jpg[/image]

Well, guess that didn't work. The knife can be seen in the same gallery - group 5, page 3.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 05-28-2006 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Skilled

Carl:

That looks good. The link doesn't work, but I found it on the Georgia Guild site.

Gonna have to try one in that style.

Robert

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives