MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:20 PM
Enthusiast

How I grind bevels

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I will try to describe how I do a flat grind. First off I'm using a 2 x48 Kalamazoo for a belt grinde . I know its not a 2x72 but it fits in my budget and works fine for me.

I was having trouble free handing bevels and getting the same angle on both sides so I built a jig. Basically it is just a piece of1 1/2 angle iron about 4 1/2 inches long with a knob mounted in the center on the bottom inside and two brass bolts going through the other side about 2/3s of the way down from the top. The knife to be ground rests on those bolts that stick through the angle iron bevel up. On the tool rest I added a piece of 1/4 by 3 by 12 inches long , it is drilled and treaded so it can be clamped to the stock tool rest.

Now comes the hard part. To figure out what angle to set the tool rest to I measure my steel and divide it in half, then determine how wide I want the bevel in thousands. Then using a scientific calculator I divide half the thickness by the width of the bevel I want and then inverse tangent, that should give the angle to set the tool rest. To do that I use a digital angle cube zeroed on the belt and then set the tool rest to the angle I need.

This is not a cure all I think it probly won't work for every knife but it works for me so far.

I haven't been here long enough to post pictures in a thread I don't think but if you look at my profile I have some pictures of this jig in an album, I think everyone can see them. I hope this is helpful for someone. If this looks like it will work for you but you need clarification let me know.
Sam

Tags
2x72, angle, bee, belt, bevel, brass, digital, flat, flat grind, grind, iron, jig, kalamazoo, knife, post, profile, steel, thickness