MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 12-12-2002, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

Question Bolsters on Damascus

I am currently getting ready to work on my 1st of 2 damascus blades and I have some questions about bolsters. The damascus is pre made blade blanks and I cannot drill any holes because the blades are pre-hardened. I am planning on using solid silver for the bolsters on the smaller knife but am having a hard time trying to figure out how I will attach them. I am thinking about soldering the bolsters to the sides of the tang but am not sure if the solder will stick to the damascus. Do you have any sudgestions as to what at this point I can do to get the solid silver attached to the tang. I am pretty new to all of this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alex Cole

----------------------------------------

Last edited by Alex Cole; 12-12-2002 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Alex, don't try to solder the bolsters. You won't be happy with the resoults.

Best thing to do is invest in a carbide drill bit of the right size for the silver pin material you will use, and pin the bolsters to the knife.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 12-12-2002, 01:41 PM

Hey Alex-

Good to hear that you're still at it! I'm sure with your natural talent these will turn out great!

Although relatively new to knifemaking, I have had some experience drilling into pre-made, tempered blades (I checked this out thoroughly myself before attempting).

Don's advice is (of course) right on about the carbide bits. I'd just like to add that you need to make certain to run your drill at high speed, and keep the work cool by using a good cutting fluid. Don't apply too much pressure as the carbide bits are prone to shattering if mistreated,...let the drill do the work.

Good luck...(you'll do fine...)

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 12-12-2002, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

Question Now a pinning question

Thanks for the quick replys guys. Here is my next question. I am going to get some silver pins also.....but how can I get the pins to where they don't show up. Should I peen them and then hope when I finish sand and buff that they don't leave a ring or what...I'm trying to keep a very clean finish on the bolsters. Thanks again guys. Your always a help.

Alex

Last edited by Alex Cole; 12-12-2002 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Make sure that the pins are clean, insert them in the holes with about 1 pin diameter protruding on each side, and peen them with a 3 lb. machinist's hammer (or, better, squeeze them in a milling machine vise).

The protruding part should spread out well beyond the diameter of the hole, and be lying pretty flat after that. Then file them flush with the bolster surface, and finish the bolsters off. Pins should not show at all.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 12-12-2002, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks again.....I am getting the silver tonight and will be starting with the shaping this wkend. I will let you know how it all turns out.

Thanks again

Old 12-13-2002, 11:33 AM
Master

if you set the depth of your drill press ( so you won't go all the way through ), go one drill size bigger. drill down in about .060. this way, when you peen the pin bigger you won't see a ring. the pin will expand evenly and not on a 45 degree angle. try it on a test piece. paul

Tags
knife