MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Steel Addict

drill bit and countersink suppliers

If you guys could point me to suppliers for metal drill bits we use in knife making. Im having a hard time finding the more common knife making sizes. Im looking for metal bird and countersinks for the screws on the handles.
tim
Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Steel Addict

Have you tried Jantz Knife Supply. They have a online web site and I get 90% on my drill bits from them.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Steel Addict

I order alot from them but I was not sure if they were metal bits.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Get a Big Book catalog (free) from MSC. They have every drill, reamer, tap, countersink, etc known to man. They usually have each one in several price ranges depending on who made it and they have them in 'screw machine' length which is what we need for metal drilling. I use the cobalt screw machine drills (cobalt, not carbide). You can buy them one at a time but its best to buy the small drills in small quantities and throw them away when they get dull or break.

You will be impressed by that catalog if you've never seen one before - its the only catalog I've ever received that I needed a hand truck to carry it into the house (well, almost). MSC isn't the cheapest place but they do have very high quality and terrific service. Even out here in the boonies, if I order in the morning I'll probably have the item on my door step the next afternoon.

And, when I said they have every drill I mean they have every drill! And reams, if you need a ream that is .002 larger than a standard size, they have it. Any size, fractional sizes, wire sizes, or metric and literally sizes that fall between all of those standards. While you're at it, get a drill chart (usually $4). Get a nice big one, poster sized, for your shop wall. With that, you won't ever have to ask "what size drill do I need if I want a hole that will allow a 1/4" pin to just barely slip though?".

That catalog also has all the info in it that explains what type of drill to use for specific types of work. Same info available for bandsaw blades and milling cutters. You need this catalog....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast

Mcmaster-Carr and MSC have been able to fill every need I have ever had for anything related to Metal cutting......They(MSC) even had a hard to find M10x1.25mm tap.
(G)

Old 07-23-2014, 07:03 AM
Steel Addict

WOW you all are great !!! Thank you so much for taking the time.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Skilled

And that MSC catalog is huge, and great informational technical reading! Definitely won't find it in my bathroom though! I just called them up and asked for one. Couldn't get it done online.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

Tags
bee, blades, common, drill, hand, handles, knife, knife making, knife supply, made, making, man, metal, shop, supply, throw