MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 01-19-2003, 06:09 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Ansoknives Send a message via AIM to Ansoknives
Virus

A note to be carefull!

This morning I got an email from "TaiGoo" (usually posts in the "outpost") with a attached virus so I think our friend has been infected......be carefull and use a virusprog!

Old 01-19-2003, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Use a virus program for sure, but realize that it may not be Tai who's computer is infected. With w32Klez and others it may have infected somebodies computer who has/had him in their Address Book. Thses kind of viruses "steal" the Address Book and then send out emails form all the contacts therein. (simplified explanation)

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
{RANT}

Bugbear does this too.

There are a lot of people out there with my address in their systems who have either klez or bugbear...

I suspect a lot of them are knife folks based on some of the spoofed subjects.

People check your systems and run anti-virus software!!! UPDATE your virus software!

These viruses steal addresses from your computer and they also steal subjects and sometimes even text and send them randomly to other people! Do you want everyone you know to potentially read everything you write?

I didn't think so! ...And I'm tired of getting your infected e-mails in my inbox!

{/RANT}

jloose.com

Old 01-19-2003, 08:14 PM

A while back one of the Suspects over on Usual Suspect Network posted this site as a source for a free download of a McAfee anti-klez, anti bugbear cleaner. It works for me -- if you have either of these 2, give it a try. Has anyone found a good anti-virus program which catches this before it takes over? Can't keep changing my programs every day
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
MtMike

Old 01-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Skilled

Thumbs down Virus medicine

I subscribe to McAfee Virus scan online. For a one year subscription they update your virus protection whenever needed.

http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/def...so=true&oemid=

It is worth the money. I get a few virus infected emails every week. It automatically cleans them. I've never had a problem.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds". Albert Einstein
Old 01-19-2003, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

I use the other biggie, Norton. A friend just got the 2002 version of Norton Systemworks for $29.95 (via the internet) which gives you the anti-virus plus other good tools and a one year subscription to the auto updates. You just have to make sure that you set it up properly for your email program.

All I know is I get quite a few notices that Norton has caught and stopped a virus (usually Klez or bugbear).

Alex has a link on the Atlanta Virtual Downloads page to still a third online service which you can use for free to at least test your machine.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Skilled

Something worth noting, some people use scripts to snag email addresses from websites and forums like this. Their email addresses are then used to spoof the source of the virus into something seeming to be semi-legitimate. I've had reports of a virus infected email from my machine some time ago, with my address as the sender. I know my machine is clean, I run Norton daily, and have auto updates set to keep the definitions database as up to date as it can be. I have the email plugin set to scan all incoming and outgoing mail automatically. It's been a very long time since I had a virus of any kind on my machine (though Norton regularly catches em landing in my mailbox and kills em before they can do any harm). Nevertheless, I supposedly sent out an infected mail, but the copy of the mail I got (from an autoresponder), the headers had clearly been "munged".

Just a word of warning, that virus infected emails may never have actually originated from the apparent senders machine. If you get one, before replying, check the headers to make sure of your source.

Last edited by Martyn; 01-19-2003 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Martyn-
That's what I was trying to say, only you said it better. You Brits are so eloquent sometimes!

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 01-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Skilled

LOL, stop it man, you're making me blush. You cajuns sure can sweet-talk - must be the French in ya Chuck.

What I mean is, Tai may very well have a clean machine, but someone (more likely a script or a bot) may be using his email tosend out infected emails. You can usually tell em though, 'cos the content isnt related to anything the "sender" might send.

Last edited by Martyn; 01-19-2003 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Non mon ami it eez probably the Irish - full of Blarney you know. (back in the old days it was probably becuase I was full of Scotch-single malt preferably)

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance you baffle them with...

My wife calls me a silver tongued devil. My Mom just said I was full of it!

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 01-19-2003, 10:26 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Same thing has happened to me Martyn. My machines clean as a whistle, but I occasionally get emails from folks who say they got a virus from an email sent by me.

They usually have a hard time believing that I didn't send them any email. One guy really got pissed. He sent me an email in all caps that said, "LOOK, JUST TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST!". I'd have been glad to, but the guy wasn't in my address book.

By the same token, I receive several infected emails per week. I know that they aren't really coming from the addressee. As a matter of fact, I receved 2 today. Once said it was from sales@atlantavirtual.com, the other said it was from ckd@atlantavirtual.com. Both were of the Klez variety.

I didn't even bother Alex with it because I know they didn't really originate from Atlanta Virtual. Like you said, some of these creeps are running spiders to go out and grab email addresses from websites and forums.

I run eTrust EZ Antivirus. It's by a big outfit called Computer Associates. I dealt with Computer Associates for years when I was still part of Corporate America. They are most noted for large mainframe applications. We had millions of dollars worth of their software running on the mainframes around the country.

If any of you other computer geek types ever worked with mainframes and are familiar with CA7, which is a high-dollar job scheduling and tracking system, that's by Computer Associates.

Anyway, I like eTrust EZ Antivirus. CA updates the data files sometimes 3 or 4 times a week. They send me an email that a new update is available. One click and I'm updated. Takes about 5 seconds. I think the cost is $9.95 per year. So far it's caught every virus and worm that has tried to attack my machine.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 01-20-2003, 09:27 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Primos
As a matter of fact, I receved 2 today. Once said it was from sales@atlantavirtual.com, the other said it was from ckd@atlantavirtual.com. Both were of the Klez variety.

Yeah, it annoys the hell out of me. Probably that was the same person or session. Run the spider to snag a bunch of emails and then send out a bunch of viruses supposedly from those emails. It probably just spidered links harvesting whatever if found along the way and got AV and your email in the same session.

Decent anti-virus software is a must these days.

Old 01-20-2003, 10:23 AM

I've been very fortunate in the last month's as well. Ever since I downloaded the FREE software from AVG Antivirus and have it running, it has identified any and all virus attacks since. (Knock on wood).

I would be willing to pay for this now, if needed. But so far so good. Until it finds the weak link I'll stick with it. I got this tip here somewhere in another post.

If anyone is interested, you can upload a free version at www.grisoft.com

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-20-2003, 10:31 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
We use AVG on our computers here at work (I pay for Norton AV. Just too stuck in the "you get what you pay for" mindset). It works really well. It also scans all outgoing and incoming e-mail, as well as internet downloads.

Seems to be pretty solid software. I would recommend it in a heartbeat, and I think when my Norton subscription runs out, I'll start using AVG.

One caveat: If you have a copy of Norton or MacAfee on your system, uninstall it before installing AVG. Makes the system do some funny things.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Steel Addict

I can feel your pain guys! I just had to "NUKE" my whole system! I had 9 virus's in my computer. The baffling thing is that I run Norton and had just did a live update and scan before the whole thing went south!

McAfee found them and we got things up and running now. The guy who helped me out said these were different types than he had found before?

Be careful and keep your machine clean!8o

Eph 6:17.......the sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God:

Tags
knife