MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Steel Addict

aldo 's steel

Does anybody know why Aldo's 1075 is more expensive than 1084 & 1095. I always buy 1095 & 1084 and love it. Just curious is all. I know Condor likes 1075 and i have many of there's. May-be i just don't know cause i figured more carbon = more money. Thanks
Clay
Old 02-02-2013, 03:19 AM
Steel Addict

Supply demand thing, I'd assume that there's less demand for it so higher price.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Why not just ask Aldo, rather than getting the speculation and opinions from people who don't know the answer? Call him up. He's a great guy to talk to.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakethings View Post
Supply demand thing, I'd assume that there's less demand for it so higher price.
Yeah, I don't mean to nick pick here, at all....but this statement is backwards. More demand raises the price. So does less supply. I don't imagine 1075 being in high demand right now, but I may be wrong. I would expect the 1080 and 1095 to be in higher demand than 1075. My guess is Aldo doesn't have as much 1075, and may not be seeing much available in the near future, and that's why it's higher. Just a guess.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Hall of Famer

A number of things could be happening. If something like 1084 is being used by "everyone" and there's not supply problems then, with mass production, the cost per unit can be lower. If fewer users want 1075 then making smaller amounts at a time drives the cost per unit up. Of course with more complex alloys it can be the cost of the elements in it that can drive the price, like with stainless steels.

Doug

Old 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Steel Addict

I just ordered the 1084 and saw the same thing last night. I didnt realize the prices changed that much I think the 1095 was the cheapest. The shipping seems higher than Jantz BUT 36'' VS 48" think I paid 91.00 for 2 sticks of 1084 to my door. Aldo and shipping was cheaper in the long run for me.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Hall of Famer

You're not all that far from Aldo. If it wasn't for having to take a round trip on the Cape May ferry it might be worth taking a run up to his place but that would add a lot of time and money to the trip. Still I always liked to take the ferry when I lived in Virginia and we would visit my wife's family in Massachusetts.

Doug

Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Steel Addict

Aldo has great steel and great customer service. In no way was i trying to disrespect Aldo. Nuff said. Thanks Aldo.
Clay
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Steel Addict

Doug, yes the Ferry is nice I use it now and then. I did think about taking that drive when i visit my Dad in Burlington, NJ its another 80 miles to Aldo. but he only hit me for 20 bux shipping.If I do a big order sometime I'll drive up.

Back in the mid 80's I went to Tech school(Air Force) @ Chanute AFB I think it was in or near Decatur nice area.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Chanute AFB was about 2 hrs away from Decatur maybe a little farther. When I was home on leave I would go there to get paid. I think that they have an airplane museum where the base used to be. If I remember right the base was outside of Danville. I went up there a couple of times when I was in the CAP.

I think that if I was in your area again I'd make a point of taking a cruise on one of the ferries. As I recall one of them had a nice restaurant.

Doug

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Hall of Famer

One thing you have to remember about Aldo compared to the knife supply places like Jantz, Sheffield, and others. The bigger knife supply houses buy their steel in bulk, then re-sell it.

Aldo works with the steel foundries directly, and has the steel made to his specs to meet the demand of knifemakers. When he was here in Ohio last summer for the Maccabee Hammer In, he told me that he has turned away batches of steel that are out of spec.

Yes, there is a bit of supply-demand dynamics going on. But his prices also reflect his costs in having batches of steel made.

Tags
1095, hammer, home, knife, knife supply, made, making, sheffield, steel, supply