MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 05-27-2003, 09:17 PM

"Keeping up with Joe Mason"

Tim, Ron, Lee....I feel the need to keep up with Joe.....
This one is just about ready for the Atlanta Show......
Engraving on 416 stainless with 24k Gold inlay.....rivit is nickle silver.
Jim

Old 05-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Skilled

Jim, very nice indeed. Elegant design, and your gold work really makes it stand out.. I have read many of your posts, and comments, but I'm sort of new to CKD and have a quick question.. Have you been doing engraving long?.. I am curious because of your use of the phrase "keeping up".. Once again, I enjoy looking at yours, Ron's, and Joe's completed projects. Veiwing the new knives and embellishment work always makes it a pleasure to spend time on the forum..Regards, Rich
Old 05-27-2003, 10:19 PM

Rich
Very kind words....
I been engraving since 1984 and making knives since 1968....Now more engraving thank knives.
I enjoy doing both...I get a great deal of pleasure from creating something from nothing. I am sure that the other artist who take part in this forum feel the same way.

When I said " I felt a need to keep up with Joe" I meant...Joe turns out a lot of work or at least he seems too.

We are frotunate to have many artist taking part in the Embelishment Forum. Each participant has a tremendous amount of artistic knowledge to offer. Passing all this along is part of being who we are.....bottom line is sharing our knowledge with those who want to learn. I think that Tim Adlam, who I share this form with will also agree.....for that matter so will Ron, Joe, Darren, Osprey Guy and the rest who post on this forum.

Thanks for the very kind comments.....
Jim
Old 05-28-2003, 12:02 AM
Skilled

Well sead Jim.

and a really nice job you've done at that bulster.

I hope to post more pictures soon, but seems like all I'm engraving lately has been jewlery, oh well

DarrenP.Reeves
Custom Hand Engraving
Billings, Montana

1-406-245-3444

Knife in Avatar
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:35 AM
Guru

Cool effect Jim!

Looking forward to seeing this one in person.

I'm anticipating a great time in Atlanta!

Tim
Old 05-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

Jim and Joe , very nice. Jim, I particularly like the gradation in the shading. It gives the leaves form and life.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Hall of Famer

very nice work, jim. i am especially impressed with the detail on the pin as i understand that nickle silver is not that easy to work.
thanx

Old 05-28-2003, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words.....

Wayne, The thing that made engraving the pins a little easier was they had been hammer hardened. I provided what we used to call eye glass quality nickle silver to the maker. When you hammer this stuff it doesn't get really harder it stiffens...makes it easier to engrave than the normal 72% nickle silver being used today.
I know the question...where can we get some of this stuff. Sorry I don't have the faintest idea. I have a roll of the stuff in many different sizes....I've had it for years. Maybe someone out there knows where this stuff is available. The size of the pins engraved is a tad over 1/8 inch....maybe a little under 3/16th. Under the microscope.....a piece of cake!

Wayne,Thanks for the feedback
Jim
Old 05-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Living Legend

Hi Jim .. I cant say any thing else all of the other guys said it all .. You do great work.. I am looking forward to seeing you at the Blade Show bring some of your work along.. I will have a couple of guns with me as well as my knifes which i havent had much time to make the engraving bench has been keeping me busy . Gold inlay is my passion if you have any questions on gold inlaying i will be happy to share them with you. Also i will bring along with me the chisels that i use for my gold work ..

Tags
blade, knife, knives