MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 11-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Steel Addict

416 stainless steel???

hello guys,well as you know im used to cutting into gun steel,but im working on a folder by centofant that have 416 stainless steel bolsters,are these usualy this hard to cut into?hell its harder than some of the guns i cut into,i feel like a newbie to engraving again,my cuts have burrs on the edges,my tools are breaking,is this normal for a knife?ive cut a few knifes in the past but nothing this hard.!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 09:52 PM

Wayne

#1...Are you sure it's 416? Some makers use 300 series stainless like 303 or 304. If this is the case...you'll just have to tough it out.

Frank usually uses 416...and it could have been hardened. I have engraved hardened 416 and it's tough, but it usually cuts very clean. If it is hardened, and Frank could tell you...you might try increasing the face angle of your graver and highly polish your heals....use plenty of cutting oil and this should take care of the point breakage. I have engraved a lot of Smith & Wessons and some are good and some are not so good...that's the way some bolsters are. I will admit....I hate 303 and 304 stainless....bad stuff.
I am impressed with your work....we would love to see more......
Thanks
Jim Small
Old 11-24-2003, 10:30 PM

I have been doing some restoration work on older military actions latley and have had a terrible time with breaking tips. Cut one leg of a letter and break a tip. Concentrating on hand tension, (watch the downward pressure on the tool) lubrication and face angle have not done any good. I bought a couple of gravers from Steve Lindsay and they are great. Last longer and stay sharper than anything I have ever tried. They are pricey, but I spend more time cutting and less time sharpening. Check out his web site.

Tags
knife