MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 02-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Registered

A few Questions from the "old newbie"...

I just picked up a used microscope yesterday from a fellow forum member (Thanks Wayne ) and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the GRS power hone. So most of my technical ducks are in order. My first project is going to be a Fantasy dragon on Aluminum so here are the questions.

1. I want to do this as a fine line engraving since I don't know Bulino. What type of graver and what would be the angles. I was used to script engraving and I assume this is different.

2. I will draw it first, of course. but what is the easiest transfer method. I was use to "chinese white" and drawing right on the piece. however this is a pretty complicated dragon and I do want to get it right.

3. Can anyone give any info on shading techniques for aluminum.

I'm sure I'll have a million more questions before the project is over so I'll thank every one in advance for their help.. Gary
Old 02-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Living Legend

Hi Gary .. I dont engrave alot on alumin but when i did i just used the same angles that i used for steeel all i did was use a lighter touch .. dont use a lot of power pressure on your chisel..

Old 02-02-2004, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast

Gary When you shade on aluminun it is done the same way as on steel, Although you cannot obtain as dark a color on steel it still looks good. I did a seminar in Reno at the FEGA show on bulino engraving. You should consider buying a tape from them when they are availiable. The angle I use for this style of engraving is an eighty degree bottom angle , that means that you grind each side at fifty degrees rather than the normal forty five degrees on each side. the face angle is determened by the material to be engraved in other words if it is tough and harder you might use a face angle of fifty or fiftyfive degrees, when I engrave in pure gold I use a forty degree face angle. The normal face angle is fortyfive. I would start there for aluminum. Chris
Old 02-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Steel Addict

In addition to Chris and Ron's comments I will add that the graver will do a better job if highly polished and a good lubricant is used. This is more important on aluminum than steel because of the tendency for aluminum to gall.