MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 08-03-2004, 05:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Scagel on ebay

Boing! 6,001.00. One day left. Better get your bid in.
ebay item (click)

Old 08-03-2004, 09:23 AM

I've not seen anything like this (which means nothing, of course). Think I'll run this one by Dr. Lucie. He sent me images of two of his recent Scagel finds which I'll post later. For now though, I'm not sure about this one.
Thanks for posting this Roc!
Buddy

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 08-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Master

Hmmmm, ...Diesn't look very Scagellish to me

Old 08-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Master

I've never seen a Scagel that looked this much like a regular everyday knife before. It looks like an old production knife.

Old 08-04-2004, 02:31 PM

Here's the scoop: It's authentic and it's UGLY. It dosn't look typical because this fellow, Ed C. Moore (whoever he was), comissioned Scagel to make this design in a numbered series of sorts (see blade reverse picture for evidence of the series number). Nobody knows how many were made but the high bidder "Yogi" has at least two others. He is likely an aggressive bidder who will not let the knife get away. It could reasonably go for as high as 9-12K. The sheath was made by Scagel as well.

I've seen other 'ugly' Scagels designed by customers, but have been surprised to learn that what was ugly to me was beautiful to others. However, to my eye, the designs that were natural to Scagel, born out of his own 'mind's eye' so to speak, are uniquely beautiful and compelling. They contain subtleties that stimulate a strong emotional response in many people. This ain't one of 'em though!

It'll all be over in a few hours. Let's see what happens.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:33 PM

Looks like someone tried giving it a nice 'razor edge'—with a 14" cutoff saw...! What a mess. In its prime with that etching it was probably a very nice custom knife. No respect....

Soon we'll see the perceived value. It's holding at $6001 with an hour to go...

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-05-2004, 12:10 AM

And the winner is...........$7,767 bid by someone other than the fellow I referred to above - bit of a surprise there. Regarding the winning bid - who knows if that's reasonable or not. IMHO this knife is a dog. I've been told time and time again that CONDITION is everything as regards antique knives in general and Scagels in particular. Here is a knife that's worth about twice what the one above sold for - the condition is as close to mint as one can get in Scagel knives..........

I've posted this image before, but here's a beautiful Scagel that would sell right now for at least $25,000.........

Here's one that is really interesting to me. It's beautiful, IMHO. Yes, the blade is stained (not pitted) but the knife otherwise is mint. Look at the clean edge and tip. I can't say with any reliability what it's worth or what the current owner paid. Let's say $8,000. Which would you rather own for approximately 8K - this one or the one that just sold on eBay?

A really good Scagel knife is a thing of beauty and marvelous to hold in hand. A dog of a Scagel is .... well, just a dog. At least that's the position taken by those experts who have immersed themselves in Scagel knives and Scagel lore. I remember saying to Dr. Lucie, "It's easy for you to be critical of lesser Scagel blades because you have all the best ones!" He just laughed and said, "Not true. If you look throughout the world of collectables, you'll see it's the same: condition is everything." So I decided to check it out and found it is true. One specific item I investigated was Mickey Mantle sports cards. There a goodly number of these but only something like 9 totally mint '1st edition' cards (forgive me, I don't remember the lingo exactly). One of these sold a few years back for $125,000, then sold again more recently for $270,000 - while the poorer condition ones trade for only a fraction of those lofty prices. I know - it's only a paper card! Go figure. Condition is everything.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Thanks Buddy, Everyone copys the stag butted ones because they are the ones most often seen. As of late, more styles are are appearing on the net. At first they are suspect because they don't fit the mold of peoples ideal of what Scagel should look like. I would be willing to give an old dog a home. So if you ever get flush with em' remember yur ol'buddy Roc! ....See ya soon, Thanks for the pics.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Hall of Famer

Roc said: "So if you ever get flush with em' remember yur ol'buddy Roc! ."

Hey, wait a minute here! Buddy is my very newest and bestest friend also!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-05-2004, 08:44 AM

You guys crack me up! You know I feel the same way about folks like Dr. Lucie and others who are the real Scagel collectors. In fact I've said those same words to Jim!

I don't want to mislead anyone - I don't own any of those knives pictured in my post above, although I really really really wish I did!

Roc, I've got something for you. I'm bringing it to Michigan. No biggie, but I think you'll like it.

Robert, I sure am glad to know I got a new best friend! Cheers!

Tags
blade, knife, knives