MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Advice needed on engraving tools/equipment

Hi Gang!

I'm in the middle of working with the Veteran's Administation on Vocational rehab (job type training) with the intent of going to GRS for some engraving classes. I recently found out that if the VA approves the training, then it's also a likely bet that they will buy my engraving tools. My probelm it that I know next to nothing about engraving, or the tools, and the VA wants me to put together a package including items and prices for tools that I will need for engraving. I've stumbled around the GRS website, as well as Shor's website, but need some advice from the pros......

When it comes to engraving blocks, handpieces, sharpeners and the likes I'm only guessing at what's the best. I figure if the VA is going to foot the bill, I want to get the best tools I can, but don't really know what I should or should not be looking at.

Of course for me it's going to be all about engraving on my knives, but having never done it, I could sure use your advice on the tools I should have.....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast

Ed call Grs directly and ask for help from them, they deal with the VA on this subject all the time. I have had several people in my classes from the VA. They could help direct you with what you will need and probably compile a formal list that you can submit. They have the experiance in this matter Christian
Old 01-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Enthusiast

Ed,
What I would suggest is:

Gravermax with the heavy handpiece (for carving), light handpiece(regular cutting) , monarch for bulino & rotory handpiece,

Sharpening system with quickchange and all the grits, and sharpening fixture,

engravers ball for microscope (is a special centering ball),

binocular microscope, and ringlight,

at least 10 square gravers glensteel and carbide.

Now to get all the part numbers I would suggest you talk to GRS and they can give you what you will need.
On the handpieces they might suggest you only need the regular hand piece and not the heavy, I have the heavy because it's an older model and they've improved them, but you should be able to get by with 2 handpieces and the rotory handpiece.
Hope this helps, if you have any questions, give me a call.
Rick
406-373-0901
Old 01-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Living Legend

Hi Ed . I can give you only advise on the tools that I like to use .. I have been engraving since 1970 and in 1990 I bought my first power assist engraving tool it was the graviermeister I used that for about 5 yrs . and then I bought the gravermax . I now use Steve Lindsays equipment which I like better . now let me say this GRS does make good engraving tools they are the father of the engraving tools but I think Steve Lindsay is much better with more control . when you are at the GRS school and I would suggest you take a class with either Lee Griffit or Chris De Camillis . you will see all of the equipment that they have to offer . 1 get a sharpner
2 get a microscope a must
3 get a good vise
I use the 50 lb vise from grs I think it is good also with the microscope get good lighting if you cant see it you cant engrave it .. I do hope this helps I am sure that there are others on the forum that will give you more advise . if you ever need help I am only a phone call away .. ron

Old 01-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
WOW! Thanks folks! I never considered having GRS build a list for me. Hopefully by the time the VA decides, and with all your great help, I'll be more educated on what's needed, and be able to make some informed decisions.

I didn't know about Steve Lindsay's tools......is there a website where I can check his stuff out?

Rick,

I'll be seeing you in the near future........ don't get too frustrated with all the stupid questions your gona get from me!!!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Skilled

Here's Steves site http://www.lindsayengraving.com/menu.htm . For what it's worth (I'm a newbe engraver), I bought Ron's Graver max, and I love it. But I have also used Steve's equipment, It just feels so different. If I could afford his set up that would be my pic.

Jeremy

Old 01-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast

Ed,
No problem with the questions, you are fortunant to have a forum like this to get you started right, when I started there was a whole lot of trial and error.
I had a shop teacher who said he would rather have you ask a dumb question than make a stupid mistake, and I hold to that.
Look forward to our class in feb, this will be my first teaching class so you will have bare with me.

Rick

Tags
knives