MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Registered

Smile A Complete Customized Classic Sebenza

I love the rich look of this Small Classic Sebenza. I've never seen one done up as much as this one is. Nice Work!
http://www.knives.cx/knives/custom/f...ebenzaBG42.php
Old 02-01-2005, 02:47 PM

Sebenza Factory Knife

HI Fighter,

Im sure this is a nice knife. However, you have listed this in the "custom knife collecting" forum.

As we all know, Sebenza's are factory knives (winner of the 2000 Blade Manufactured knife of the year award). You should move this to the appropriate factory forum.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 02-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Registered

This Is Custom

Les Robertson,

I understand that Sebenza's are factory knives. I could put this forum in the Factory Knife Discussion. However, this is not a factory made Sebenza. This is a complete customized ( Custom ) Small Classic Sebenza! I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong here, because you are right. But in this situation, this is not factory made. This is a Custom Collective Sebenza! So, I feel this belongs in the Custom Knife Collecting area.

Take Care!
Old 02-02-2005, 03:54 PM

Hi Fighter,

A factory knife that is "customized" is not a custom knife. It is a customized factory knife.

Many of the factories do "customized" work on their factory knives. So while you may think you have a custom knife, you do not.

Now if Chris Reeve had made this knife, then it would be a custom collectible. Those who collect Chris custom Sebenza's know that those are marked appropriately. As well they have a slightly different look and a completely different steel than the ones that are manufactured today.

I realize that you are probably trying to make the transistion to custom knives and this is your first step.

My response is not really for you as much as it is for others who would read this. They need to know that a Sebenza (No matter how fancy) is in no way, shape or form a custom collectible.

I write posts like this to save time. As I am the individual who someone who owns one of these will bring one to sell at a knife show. I will have to be the one to tell them that is is a factory knife (no matter what the person who sold it to them told them). As such I have no interest in them.

Many times this leads to comments like:

"Your just saying that to get me to come down on the price"

Sometimes there are obsenties other times just pure shock.

Either way I am the bad guy for pointing out the truth.

Things like this have happened with other types of factory knives as well. It is important for potential custom knife buyers to understand what they are buying.

If one wants to buy a customized factory knife it is certainly their perogative. However, they should purport a knife to be something it is not.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 02-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Registered

I Agree

Les Robertson,

I agree upon what you are saying. I totally give credit for the maker and the person that customized it. I do agree upon this Sebenza being a factory production knife. However, I still feel it belongs in the custom knife collecting area. I apologize to you if I am sounding rude in any kind of way. Thank you for your feed back!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter8
However, I still feel it belongs in the custom knife collecting area. I apologize to you if I am sounding rude in any kind of way. Thank you for your feed back!
Dude - Les is Moderator here. What you feel or not doesn't matter, he's in charge.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:58 AM

I smell a troll...

Just my sense of smell, but there is something *really* fishy about this. Maybe it's the other two forums that this also was posted in and the subsequent banning of an individual and the many aliases that were coming out to support him and his work. All originating from the very same computer....

Fighter8, did you make this? If so then good on ya. But stop trying to pull the wool over our eyes by simply letting us know what a good project this is from somebody else. That's total BULL****.

BTW, the customizer is a Brad Fairall. Seems he does nice work, but hangs out with a the wrong crowd, or is afraid to announce himself without deception.

Coop

PS--thanks Les for the overview, in spite of my rant. It's always a good reminder.

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Registered

Angry Who is this?

Readers,

I am who I say I am. My name is Dan Moore. I live in Los Angeles, California and have studied at Harvard University. I have accomplished my Masters Degree of a hard earning 6 years. I don't know what your reply is concerning, but don't let the past interfere with the present! I DO NOT want to get involved! I am a knife collector just as everyone else is. I am planning on purchasing a custom knife from this maker. THAT IS ALL!! I am also planning on purchasing knives from SOG, Reese Weiland, and Mike Geppo, a knife artist who lives in Italy. When I get those I will also post those on here! DO NOT, and I mean DO NOT assume something, when you don't know! Take Care!
Also, I do have the right to speak what I think. I have earned it you know!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Skilled

Hi All, sorry I haven't been around for a while, my work load has not permited in fact I have not been on the forums for about a month so I am not sure what Coop is refering to. However I do know what Les refering to and he is right. This is a custom forum. In that case you need to understand what a custom is and what it is not. That is an arguement all on it's own. but simply a custom knife is one that is made by a single maker and is not made as a multiple production unit. I hope that makes sense. We in the knife community do not use the automotive usage of the word custom where you take a factory vehicle and modify it so that it has options that are not available from the norm. Please not that there is a gray area ther as well as most auto manufacturers will have a "custom" outlet both within and without. Fords SVT or Mercedes AMG. In any case, a factory knife is a factory knife is a factory knife. so I am going to lock this thread.

Fighter8 please do not take this the wrong way, context is very difficult to explain in text. When you get the Weiland and Geppo we want to see it! and we want to see it here or in the Display Case, but the SOG post on the SOG forum.

thanks from your missing moderator!

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Closed Thread

Tags
blade, knife, knives