MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
A Fantastic class with Rick Eaton.....

I just returned home today, after a 5 day engraving class hosted by the MKA, and instructed by Rick Eaton. WOW! What a great learning experience. Rick is a fabulous engraver, and a wonderful teacher. He was so patient (especially with me ) and the knowledge he possesses just boggles the mind! I spent my time "scratching" on two practice plates, trying to figure out design and shading, while both Tom Ferry and Joe Olsen turned out some really mice stuff! Rick demonstrate "Belino" (spelling?) engraving, which is just out of this world....... I'm mentally drained, but really cranked up to get some tools and start practicing on my own.

Gary Rodewald and Neil McKee put the event together, Gary hosted it as his shop, and I might also add that he fed, and treated us like kings!
Many thanks are due to Gary, Neil, and Rick for putting on one of the best events I have ever attended.
The class consisted of Joe Olsen, Tom Ferry, Nick Wheeler, Mel Fassio, Bob Crowder, Gary, Neil, and myself.
I learned very quickly, that there is nothing easy, or quick about good engraving, and that you can really loose yourself looking through that microscope. Even though what I did was very crude, it lite a fire in me for more. I suspect GRS will be sending a lot of equipment to Montana before too long. With any luck, and several years of practice, maybe someday I'll be confident enough to try it on a knife!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-12-2005, 12:59 AM
Guru

Way to go Ed!

Reading and talking about engraving technique is one thing, but nothing beats doin' it.
You were in good hands.
Can't wait to see the results.

Tim

Old 02-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Master

Great Ed, Look forward to seeing an engraving before long. Good luck....

Joe

Old 02-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Ed, I'm green with envy! I am very glad that you got to go.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 02-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Living Legend

Very cool. How about a pic of the practice plates?

Old 02-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I doubt that I'll be offering any engraving on knives for a while. Maybe after about a zillion hours of practice I MIGHT be able to make something look good! It's a lot tougher than I thought it would be..........and you wanna see practice plates? NO WAY! Maybe if I put a split ring in the corners of the plates they might work for fishing downriggers, but I sure don't want to show those awful things off.

Now Tom Ferry (boy I just hate him ), did some REALLY nice engraving during the class. That guy is just so full of talent that it makes me wanna break all his fingers!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Enthusiast

Ed,
Thanks for the kind words. I had a great time teaching you guys, all of you in the class are ahead of where I was when I first started, you won't have to learn from trial and error. You just need time alone with the steel and graver, and for now you can work on the drawing part, if you can draw it you can cut it.
Our hosts were great Gary and Neil.
I'm looking forward to the work I see from you guys. As long as you stick with it in no time at all you'll be able to put something on your knives, just start out simple and go from there. Look at where Shane started and look at the great work he is doing now.

Thanks
Rick

Tags
knife, knives