MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Skilled

Acid Engraving.

I've been wanting to have a go at the acid etching/engraving.
Wanted to do some designs on blades and perhaps bolsters and such.
So I've been wanting to find a good resist so I can start practicing.

I was curious if anyone has any that they can suggest.

I just found this site.
http://www.graphicchemical.com/default.asp

Which seems to have all the supplies, but I'm not real sure what I'd need.
I know I'd need a resist and a scribe, but could probably make a scribe of some sort unless someone suggests why a manufactured one would be better.

I've got some muriatic acid, as well as ferric, but kinda wondering if it'd be better to have something stronger.

Suggestions?

Bcarta Composites
Stabilized Woods
Old 11-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

Beau
Check the search engine on this site Montejano SP is a expert in acid etching and has posted info on it . Good luck Dave

Old 11-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Skilled

I've had a good look over those threads, I think I'm just gonna get some asphaltum and experiment with it some.
I've also been informed that pvc vinyl automotive decal makes a nice resist. That combined with a laser and computer can make some nice stencils and cutouts.

Also read elsewhere that enamel paint pens work good, so I'd think enamel paint too.

The graphic chemical site has a big assortment of inks in various colors, but it's a little over my head, so I think I'll just go with the asphaltum =P

Bcarta Composites
Stabilized Woods
Old 11-27-2007, 01:37 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KatherinePlumer
This is a little out of my league because I don't know about etching knives, but I've done a lot of intaglio etching to make prints so I can maybe at least touch on a few things.

I always used nitric acid for etching steel. I can get more info about the dilution if you want but I want to say it was 1:10 (acid:water). Ferric was used for etching copper, as I recall. Etch times could be anywhere from a few seconds to many minutes depending on the darkness desired (of course with a printing plate you dunk it in the acid, this might be entirely different than what you are doing). Be sure to do lots of tests first!

These are a few of the main ways you can create an image with acid etching:

1) drypoint (actually does not use acid). Scratch directly into the surface, ink will catch in the line and the raised burr

2) hard-ground. A melted hard wax (ground) is applied to the heated metal, it must be rolled on smoothly. Lines are drawn through the ground with a scribe. The metal is dipped in acid. Shorter dip times = thinner line/lighter color. So if you wanted a range of tones, you would dip it, put a resist on the lightest areas, dip it again, resist, etc.

3) aquatint: this is used for making flat areas of tone (versus line). Powdered rosin is dusted into the metal and fused into place with a propane torch (I hear you can also use finely sprayed paint, I never tried this). This creates a "dot pattern" around which the acid can bite, thereby creating gray tones. Anything you don't want etched is stopped out with a resist, and then it's the same process of dip, resist, etc to make a range of tones. Again, do test plates.

Resists: I mostly used asphaltum. Thin it with turpentine (probably could use turpenoid and not fry so many brain cells). Use a fine paintbrush to apply it, but it's still hard to get fine detail this way. You might want to get some Stones litho crayons (like grease pencils). They also make a great resist and are especially handy for tight areas where you can't brush on the goopy asphaltum. Probably a #3 crayon would be best for that.

Scribes: anything pointy. Whistler's needles are popular with the fine art crowd.

Ink: Probably not so much of a concern if it stays on the metal and doesn't get printed. For printing I like Daniel Smith inks the best. For engraving I think you'd be fine with any. I use Charbonnel for scrimshaw.

Anyway, I don't know if that's at all what you were looking for, but that's what I know about acid etching fine art!

-Katherine

Tags
knives