MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KatherinePlumer
a scrimshander tries bulino engraving...

Hey everyone! I haven't posted for a while so I thought I'd pop in here and say hi.

I've posted a lot of scrimshaw work on here in the last year and a half or so, and I want to say I'm seeking collaborative or commissioned scrim jobs. I know there must be some ivory (or micarta or corian) handled knives out there that are dire need of embellishment. I would love to get my work onto some knives! I'll work with any figurative subject (animals, people). Color or B/W. Email or PM me and I'd be happy to talk details!

I've recently started dabbling in metal engraving too. My interest is bulino engraving, though I am also studying scrollwork and strive to be proficient at several styles. I'm not looking to take on any custom metal engraving projects just yet (I'd like to do more practice on some of my own projects first) but I thought I'd go ahead and show you what I've been working on.

This is my first engraving, finished in January. It's 1 x 1.5 inches on copper. I was a little heavy-handed with the dots. This is not inked. Pardon the tarnish.

This is my second engraving, finished about a week and a half ago. It's 1 x 3/4 inch on steel. Way smaller dots, way more detail, it took so much longer! These aren't the best photos but it's the best I've been able to do so far (photographed through the scope). The one with the penny is inked. The other is not.

I plan to also try doing bulino with lines. I like dots, but I aim to learn all I can!

Thanks for looking! There will be more!

-Katherine

Old 03-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Living Legend

Katherine your progressing wonderfully.Keep up the good work

Old 04-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Enthusiast

Katherine you look to be a natural at bulino. I combine dots and lines and it is a very tedious technique but it seems you are going to be great at it. Very well done and if I can help answer any questions please feel free to contact me. What type and shape of tool did you use on these?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast

Also Katherine, if you went around the black stripes with very tiny lines they would get that more fur look. I've started doing all my bulino now with hand push gravers and mostly I like Phil Coggans graver grind, It really holds up good too. Id love to have that tiger.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

The first problem I can see is that obviously you aren't posting enough on here! Great stuff! Hope we see more!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Hi Katherine,

I have been looking at your posts, and I must say you are doing some outstanding work.
As long as you keep posting your work, I will be looking for it!

Tony
Old 05-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KatherinePlumer
Hey guys! Sorry, I haven't logged in here for a while... (oops). Thanks for the comments! I haven't been doing much with bulino in the last little bit, but am looking forward to learning more.

Tim, to answer your question, the tiger was engraved with a point for which I do not know the exact geometry (it was sharpened by someone else and given to me, pretty close to the Coggan point though). The portrait was done with the Coggan point.

-Katherine

Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Skilled

Hi Katherine,

You do some very nice work, the last 2 look like self portraits but hard to tell with your small avi picture. Hope to see more of your work .

www.turnerknives.com

Tags
knives