MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 10-10-2002, 05:49 PM

A short visit with Ron Nott

On monday following the Tom Anderson "Folder-In", Bob Sigmon and I drove a 1/2 hour north to visit with my friend Ron Nott. It was Bob's first visit, albeit a short one as both Bob and I had to get on the road home by 2:30pm. Even still, as always, it was a great visit.

Ron always has so much to offer and so quick to share his knowledge. Bob had asked if he could leave his favorite old Gerber and have Ron spruce it up just a little. Ron's reply?..."No problem, let's do it right now while you're here! This way you can explain exactly what you have in mind."

You probably could have knocked Bob over with a feather at that point. I can assure you, this is very typical Ron Nott...

Here's a few photos of Ron and Bob (Bob has the beard ) as they discuss the design and then Ron in short order, breathes new life into Bob's old friend...

My mistake, in the previous photo and in the following, we're over in Ron's knifemaking shop (engraving's done in a seperate room). Ron's showing us some recent designs for a folder and giving us pointers on how to make one for ourselves...

Here's Ron sketching out the design for Bob to see:

Looking through the microscope, Ron is now executing the approved design:

I didn't get to photograph the cool piece(s) of completed work which Ron knocked out in no time at all. I'm sure Bob will come behind me here and post a photo of his newly embellished old Gerber.

Sorry it was such a short visit Ron, I hope to be back up next week. I've only just begun my education ...
I'll give you a buzz.

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 10-10-2002 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:12 PM
Hall of Famer

thanx for the pix, dennis. you and bob sure had a great weekend+
now lets see some of your grinding.
-and be careful around the buffer!

Old 10-10-2002, 06:22 PM

Wayne (you funny guy you)-

As always, I promise to be careful around the buffer. I'm a real nut for shop safety (ask Tom Anderson)...heck, how could I forget with guys like you to keep me in line?

As to showing off my practice grinds, I'm reminded of the movie "The Agony and the Ecstacy"...every time the Pope asks Michaelangelo when it will be done, the reply would always be "when it is ready."

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 10-10-2002, 06:48 PM

Dennis,

Thanks for posting the pictures, sorry for the cracks in your camera lens!

In the short time that I spent with Ron, I learned quite a bit. What I learned the fastest is what a major talent Ron has for engraving. He knocked out the decorative coins for my Gerber Bolt Action Referb in a heart beat. I'm sure that I could do it , if I had two or three years of practice!

I still have to blue the coins before I mount them. I'm going to try to get it done over the weekend. I'll get some before and after pictures to post.

Thanks to Dennis for showing me the way and to Ron for opening his shop and expertise to us! Knifemakers are the greatest people.

Bob Sigmon
Old 10-10-2002, 06:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
"when it is ready."
i hear ya, dennis. i'm setting up my new grizzly this weekend (tax refund wasn't large enough for a kmg - maybe next year?) and will be hot on your and jim's heels - i hope.

Old 10-10-2002, 07:41 PM
Living Legend

Hi Dennis ... T hanks for posting the pictures i didnt know that you were taking them.. They look great and bob it was great meeting you finialy.. and i hope your coins look good in your knife ....

Old 10-10-2002, 08:09 PM

Ron,

The coins aren't going to look good in the knife . . .

They are going to look GREAT ! !

Bob
Old 10-10-2002, 09:32 PM

Bob you're gonna have to teach me how to do the colored type thing. I keep trying with no results...maybe yet another funky Netscape/Mac issue?

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

PS. Ron- I'm lucky that my Olympus has very good lens, combined with shooting at very high resolution, no flas is required...the darn thing practically "sees in the dark". You never saw a flash go off...I was in stealth mode. Same way i got that photo of Tom Anderson working at his computer in the dark...never knew what hit him

Tags
forge, knife