MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 02-25-2001, 06:48 PM
Mondt

Loveless on Ebay

I'm not a collector, but I know a good knife when I see it. I just saw a 1970 Loveless for sale on Ebay. I am guessing the selling price at around $2000. Looked like a good deal to me.

For a collector this may be a good opportunity to pick up a nice piece.
Old 02-26-2001, 11:03 AM
Hillbillenigma

Re: Loveless on Ebay

Hi Mondt,

That Loveless does have a STARTING price of $2000 but there is a hidden RESERVE that I would estimate is closer to $3,500 (just a guess).

By the way I REALLY like that look of that Gut Hook Skinner that you have in the CKD For Sale Area! Very nice work!
Old 02-28-2001, 12:25 AM
Mondt

I hate those little hidden RESERVE prices! If you want so much for the thing just sat so! Makes sense to me.

If I could I would have a few Loveless knives myself.

Thanks for noticing the skinner.
Old 03-02-2001, 07:44 AM
Les Robertson

Guys,

Buying Loveless knives can be a tricky proposition. Much of the value is found in the logo's on the knives. People are not paying the money they are for the quality of the work. As there are a lot of makers who's work is superior ot Loveless'. Steve Johnson and George Herron for starters.

There was a big sell off of Loveless Knives last year as Al Williams sold his collection to JW Denton. Some of the knives brought incredible money. Some have still not sold.

The hunters and skinners are the most common. $1,400 - $1,900 is a good price. This would be for a mint condition knife with a guard. Once you go over $2,000, you as a collector will have difficulty finding buyers.
As Dealers will not be interested in a Loveless hunter at that price, unless it has the right "logo".

One of the problems that collectors run into when selling knives for over $500.00. You expect the buyer to send you a money order for the amount. Most time they will not know you. So they are hesistant to send you the knife. Just as you would not want to send them the knife without being paid first.

So before you buy any knife over $1,000 you need to do your homework.

Things to look for are:

Population (how many were made of this type or with this logo)
Date Made
Does the knife have the original sheath
Letter of authenticity from the maker
Condition of the knife (should be mint).

If you are buying the knife just to have an example of Bob's work. Then take your time, do the homework and get the best knife for your money.

If you are looking to buy a Loveless as an investment. You need to do even more homework. As the ROI (return on investment) at this point on a $2,000 hunter will at best be 25%. This will only occur when Loveless stops making knives.

Guys remember you are going up against Dealers and very seasoned Collectors. Who have forgotten more about Loveless knives than you will ever know. Do not underestimate the person on the other side of the table. Do your homework.

Good Hunting.

Old 03-02-2001, 12:28 PM
Mondt

That's the reason I only make knives and do not try to purchase knives as a "collector". In the case of Loveless knives you are right on! Everything rests in the logo.

Tags
knife, knives