MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 06-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Guru

2004 Blade Show Reunion

...and another year gone... ...!

Great seeing some old and new faces.
Jim Small brought his camera along to the show on Saturday...(at least one of us was thinking!)...
...and the record speaks for itself.

Lloyd Hale and Joe Mason

Ray Cover Jr....look behind and to the right...Joe doesn't miss a chance for a photo op...

"I love this place!"

...Later that evening...
...a bunch of us engraver types, guests and forum members gather for our 2nd. annual reunion
at one of the local restaurants.

Clockwise...Jims friend Major Mike Farrell-(Ret), Brian Mason, Kelly Carlson, Dennis Greenbaum,
(not seen...Don Cowles Son and granddaughter), Dons friend (?), Dr. David Darom, Don Cowles,
Kelly Adlam, me, Ray and Holly Cover.

Bottom photo...The deep thinkers are Joe Mason and Jim Small.
Robt. Eggerling is seated next to Joe...the guy sticking the straw in Bobs eye is Ron Nott...
Off to Jims left were seated Jamey Saunders and his wife.

Great company and a fun time!
Looking forward to next years gathering!!

Thanks for the photos Jim!

Jamey Saunders

Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia - Land of traffic and asphalt.

I had a great time there. It was interesting to sit there and listen to Jim Small and Ron Nott talk engraving. The meal wasn't half bad, either!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist

Posted by: Don Cowles

Darren
Hand Engraver

Wish I could have made it, I would have loved to sit and talk engraving with all of you, looks like you all had a great time.
Nice to put some faces to the names.

Thanks Tim For the up date.

Darren

Billings, Montana 59101
406-245-3444

06-08-2004 08:13 PM

ron p. nott
Leading Member

well guys it was great to meet all of you and talk shop I had a great time despite all of the problems before the show started I do hope we can do it again next yr and may be have more of you join us . so keep your eyes open for some cheep damacaus some body has a lot of it for sale .We all made it home ok and had a great time ..

06-08-2004 08:34 PM

Joe Mason
Leading Member

I also had a great time and hope this group will keep growing. Learned a lot about doing shows and got a few good engraving tips. Great trip.

Joe

06-08-2004 09:14 PM

SharpByCoop

I *love* these candid shots! Thanks to you, Tim for providing this thread and looksee!

With you in spirit, my schedule was super-busy that weekend as I knew. Someday, I'll meet each and every one of you.

Coop

??NEW?? Photo Gallery Images and site update - 03/2004

06-08-2004 09:15 PM

Jim Small

I had a great time!
So many kind and artful folks. I had not seen Lloyd Hale in 20 years?it was really good to see him again. I told Lloyd he was the grandfather of the pure art knife?I am not sure how he took that but, it's true. He still does fantastic work.
I would not have taken anything for what has become our annual visit?my visit with Tim and Kelly. Tim and Kelly dropped by the studio a couple of days prior to the show. Our visits are always a welcomed anticipation. The subject matter runs the gamut.
I would like to have spent more time with Ron Nott?. What a great guy and a super engraver he is. Ron passes out engraving information like a college professor. I look forward to our next visit.
Ray Cover had a knife on his table that was absolutely stunning. He promised to take pictures and post it here on the Embellishment Forum?. I will let you be the judge. Wow!
Mr. Nice?.what can you say about Don Cowels? His knives are little pieces of art so well executed that the only thing you can say is PERFECT.
Joe Mason's work is so well done?he is a natural engraver?it's all up, up and away for Joe. What a great future he can look forward too.
The Gathering?the one at the restaurant?a nice end of the day event. Our forum "daddy" Tim put it all together. Thanks Tim.
I wished for Rich Slaughter, Darren, Jason, Wayne, Chris and all the other Forum Buddies?We need you.

Dennis, in his Comanchee dress shirt?.well?.he's special! Dennis, next year your drive?..

As you can see from the above photo?.Don and I eat well?.to say the least!

A special thanks to Kelly Adlam for holding down the table while Tim wandered and wandered and wandered and wandered and wannnnnnnddddereeeeeed.

Thanks to all
Jim

06-08-2004 09:29 PM

Tim Adlam

Yep...papa is a rollin' stone...
...At a place like the Blade show...can I be blamed?

It wasn't until after the dinner that I learned the damage done to Rons SUV and the stolen damascus
belonging to Robert Eggerling.
It's heartbreaking that this happened, and to go on with the show with a cloud hanging over your head...
...well, lesser men would've folded.
I know both of you will re-bound, but that's not much consolation for the present.

Coop...looking forward to meeting you in Chicago.

At the show on Sunday, Simon Lytton told me he wished he could've taken up my invite to join us.
Me thinks Simon will become a regular next year.

Darren...I hope someday that you can make the pilgrimage too!

Bottom line...it don't get no better than this!

Thanks all,
Tim

Last edited by Tim Adlam; 06-20-2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Guru

Ray Cover Jr
Elite Member

I am having to post from my wifes computer again. Would you believe my brand new computer got fried when we lost power at the house today. HP is sending me another hard drive for free. God bless the guy who thought up the concept of warantees.

I had a great time at the blade show. The show was awesome and so was the company.

I was happy to see such a large and talented group representing engravers and embelishers at the show. In the old days there would only be a couple of us at a show. Are any of you doing Ed Wormser's show this fall? Maybe a bunch of us can get together there as well. It was a great deal of fun meeting folks and sharing techniques and tips with each other. We definitly need to get together again when the opportunity provides itself.

Thanks for the compliment on my knife Jim. It is my second sole authorship folder and I am very proud of how it turned out. I will be sending it off to jim Cooper to be photographed this week. When he gets finished working his magic I will post the results.

Ray

06-09-2004 09:53 PM

Tim Adlam

Ray,

That is a beautiful knife you made and I like the "thinking outside the box" concept.
I'll reserve further well-deserved praise when Coop finishes the shoot.
BTW...you could quit your day job anytime!...

You and electronics...I don't know... ... ...

Hey...it was a pleasure meeting your wife Holly...Kelly says hi!

Let's get a group together for Saturday night dinner during Ed's Chicago custom show.
...Anybody interested...let me know and I'll hunt down a place.

Tim

06-09-2004 10:55 PM

Don Cowles
Founding Member / Moderator

I'm ready for dinner at the Chicago show, for sure!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

06-10-2004 09:24 AM

Osprey Guy

The Show was awesome (of course).
I had an amazing time, got to meet and chat with soooo many of the greats, and the many, many, many up-and-coming greats.

As good as that was, it was especially cool to see all you guys. Last year's dinner was super, but this year's get together was over the top! Big group! Eighteen of us this year!(Good restaurant choice BTW...the steak was first rate!)

Same as we did last year, I drove down with Ron Nott and Bob Eggerling...We roomed together along with Dr. David Darom (author of that fantastic, "coffee table" book on "high art" custom folders). David's a wonderful, fascinating fellow who traveled for 20 hrs from Israel to attend the Show. He joined us for this dinner as well...(Sitting next to Don Cowles...looked like the two of them were getting along famously).

Got to finally meet Jim in the flesh...That was a treat. I was sorta surprised at how much he looked the way I pictured him...Well grooomed, bearded, looking every bit the knowlegeable sage.
Wish we had more than a few minutes to talk...Next time we'll have to set aside some time. (Glad you so enjoyed the shirt...LOL).

Jamey Saunders cruised over to our table. He was at the same restaurant with other forumites. He sat at the other end of the table with Jim and Ron...Luckily he and I got to chat for quite some time at the Show.

Really enjoyed talking with Ray and his wife, who were sitting directly across from me and Kelly Carlson (Like last year, I spent the weekend helping Kelly at his table). They are both truly interesting people...made dinner all the more special.

In addition to the dinner, I saw Don, Tim, and Joe frequently throughout the Show...Like most of the CKDF "extended family", it was obvious they found every bit as much (or more) pleasure in the comraderie, as the pure joy of viewing so much extraordinary work under one roof.

All-in-all...what a show!!!

Can hardly wait 'til next year...I do plan on attending Chicago (my sister lives there...so I get free room and board!). Count me in for a Chicago get together!

Dennis Greenbaum

Last edited by Tim Adlam; 06-20-2004 at 02:59 PM.

Tags
blade, knife, knives