MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 10-18-2004, 01:16 AM

Collecting Carved-Handle Knives

I know, I know......Last week I said I was collecting Award-Winning Knives.......now it's Carved-Handle Knives.........whatever - I don't care as long as it's pointy and has a sharp blade.

So - I think I may have like 2 - or something like that so some other folks (you know who you are) better throw your carved-handle knives in as well - or this is gonna be a short thread! Makers too......what the heck. In fact, if you don't have any carved-handle knives but you find a good image of a carved-handle knife on the internet, rip it off and post it here. The more the merrier!

This is a nice little knife by my old buddy and original Texas redneck (and I mean that as a compliment!), RD Nolen. He's in his 80s now. RD has made so many knives and has such a good eye, I think he just makes 'em up as he goes. For this one, he got his sister, Mary Ann, to carve the handle (Warthog tusk I believe). She's about as talented as he is.

It's one of those knives I like to keep out on my desk where I can see it and grab aholt of it any time I please. Blade is 3 1/4" and OAL is 7 1/8" ...........

PS: Coop, I used your suggestion of adding 5% black with Photoshop and I really like what it did. Thanks for that tip!

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 10-22-2004, 12:11 AM

And now for something a little less 'traditional.' Rik Palm created this very unusual 'Squid Knife,' carving not only the handle but part of the the blade as well. This is Rik's image which I ripped off from his web-site. I'm hoping he won't mind since I did buy the knife from him at the BLADE Show this past June in Atlanta.

It was a weird situation. I knew if I didn't find a nice knife to take home for "my attractive wife" I would for sure be subjected to the 'silent treatment' for days on end. Finally, on Sunday, with time running out and in utter desperation, I begged my 10 year old son to help me. We decided to split up and cover different areas of the show and if one of us found something appropriate we'd go find the other, do the deal and skeedattle.

After a little while I was getting nowhere, had broken out in a full sweat and was starting to panic. Here comes my son with a look of serene confidence on his face. I followed him to......Rik Palm's table. My son points to this squid knife and says, "She'll love it, Dad." I remember thinking "Uhhh........I don't think so." But, as I said, I was desperate, time had run out, we had a plane to catch - my back was against the wall!

We got home and I assumed I was as good as 'dead meat.' A squid? Argghhh! But miracle of miracles - she unrapped the knife, took one look and whispered, "How beautiful. I love it!" Redeemed! Later on I slipped my son a twenty and told him how much I'd appreciated his help. He said, "That's OK Dad, I knew she'd like it." :confused:

This is a great image Rik made of the "Squid Knife" and it will be hard to come up with an equally good image of my own. But I have an idea. I'll see if it works out and post the results in a few days.

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 10-22-2004 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Skilled

Wow - more gorgeous cutlery! I particularly like the Rik Palm - he turns out some truly original designs. It's great to see that you can share your interest with your family - wish I could get away with bringing a custom knife home "for my wife" - I would be dead meat.

Roger
Old 10-30-2004, 01:57 AM

Well, try as I might, I couldn't make as nice a picture of this knife as Rik did. So, I resorted to cheap Photoshop trickery and produced something 'different.'

Old 10-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Skilled

It may be trickery, but it's still way cool - love that pic!

Roger
Old 10-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Nice pic Buddy.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Steel Addict

I like carved handles too. I have a folder by Steve Schwarzer which is one of his first mosaic damascus. It has a carved "goblin" head. In fact, the head is that of the big snake in the first Conan movie.

I also like the work done by Murad Sayen. He used to have a great galery, but I can't find it anymore. He did a lot of work in collaboration with Don Fogg:
http://www.dfoggknives.com/kemal.htm

Old 02-26-2005, 12:59 PM

Joss, The Steve Schwarzer knife is really interesting. Thanks for posting it here. I like Steve and I like his work. While he's well known for his damascus inovations and skill, he's also quite the artist as his carving on your knife illustrates. Thanks again for posting here!
Buddy
Old 02-26-2005, 02:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
The Squid is cool. :cool:

jloose.com

Old 03-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Skilled

Carved handle

This is a knife that my brother Charlie(first twin of Twin Blades) carved out of red stag antler. The tang, visible through the piercings, is polished and fileworked to match the blade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charlie's knife.jpg (19.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg handle.jpg (22.6 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Harry Mathews; 03-01-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:56 AM

Harry,
Beautiful work - very impressive and interesting - thanks for posting. If that were mine, I'd consider having it professionally phtographed and have the images distributed to the magazines etc. - unless publicity is not desirable.
BT
Old 03-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Skilled

Buddy,
Thanks, we are planning on doing just that. This is a great thread. I love the squid knife and pictures. Wonder what the flip side looks like? Nothing like a few pictures to start the wheels turning.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Steel Addict

Gotta love both of those knives Buddy. Squid pic is A-OK . Hope you don't mind if I put it on as a "background" for a while . It oughta get some looks from the rest of my clan. Hope to see you , and perhaps a knife or two, at Tai's next full moon. Kevin

Tags
blade, knife, knives