MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 02-14-2005, 01:17 PM

AKA "Little Rock" Show - Pictures & Comments

The Arkansas Knifemakers' Show happened this past weekend, February 11, 12 in...

The show was held in the exhibit hall of the Robinson Center next door to the...

There were other groups staying at the Double Tree including the National Black Policeman's Association and Ducks Unlimited. A raffle held by DU awarded the lucky winner a new...

On the other side of the Double Tree was the oldest state capiton building West of the Mississippi...

I took the...

over to the Arkansas Historical Museum to see the...

There were some very interesting things to see. Old, original blades...

And new ones by ABS Journeyman and Master Smiths...

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 02-15-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:20 PM

Of course the bowie knife is big in Arkansas...

And you can even see the original "Bowie No. 1"...

The show was great! Here are the award winners...

Terry Primos won the...

And I was lucky to get...

Later on, I will post the winners' names by category and more knife pictures. Anyone else who was there and would like to add to this review, please do so.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Buddy, Nice pictures. Looks like it was a nice show. How about a little more info on who won which awards. Jim Treacy
Old 02-14-2005, 05:51 PM

Jim - I'll post the winners' names by category later tonight. Here's the winner of "Best Giraffe Bone" awarded by Giraffebone.com. Jerry Lairson used cable damascus for the blade and fashioned a beautiful knife and matching pouch sheath. The giraffe bone handle is very nicely done. There was a lot of giraffe bone being used, I noticed. In fact the handle on John White's fighter above is giraffe bone.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:41 PM

Here are the show winners:

BEST BOWIE - Brett Gatlin
BEST HUNTER - Jerry Fisk (a drawing was held for this knife prices at $1,250)
BEST FIGHTER - John White (see picture above)
BEST FOLDER - Jody Molder (?spelling)
BEST ART KNIFE - Ron Newton
BEST DAMASCUS - Sydney Moon
BEST PEARL KNIFE - Ron Newton
BEST MINIATURE(s) - 3-way tie
Terry Primos (see picture above)
Richard Self
Rusty Polk
BEST GIRAFFE BONE - Jerry Lairson (see picture above)
BEST OF SHOW - Sydney Moon
BEST VALUE - Matthew Olive (? think this is correct) - nice guy - it was his first show ever and his knives were quite good - if I remember correctly he sold six or so.

There were approximately 100 tables of which approximately 30 were suppliers of one kind or another - everything from animal skins to damascus steel. The crowd was steady all day. A silent auction ran through sunday and included some interesting items. When I left Sunday morning I was high bidder on a damascus letter opener donated by Ray Kirk - haven't heard yet if I won or not.

Some of my more memorable moments:

Biggest Regret - That I didn't pick up on a knife by one of the three Brazillian bladesmiths who shared a table, including Ricardo Vilar. They had great stuff and came a long way. The time just got away from me.

Weirdest experience - The van ride back from dinner out with Reggie Barker, John Fitch (& his wife Dawn), Jim Crowell (& his daughter Beth), John Perry (& his wife Carrie and daughter Stormy), Jason Howell and 3 or 4 other folks. Let's just say that Reggie, Big John and Jimmy really ought to take their act on the road. Before the night was over, the words BR Hughes spoke to us in the hotel lobby as we left for dinner were ringing in my ears: "Now, I don't want to be reading about ya'll in the Little Rock newspaper tomorrow morning!"

Good fun - Playing collector 'cat & mouse' with Randy (moderator of the custom knife forum at bladeforums.com). Turns out Randy & I were interested in some of the same makers. Before Saturday was over we'd both scooped each other a time or two! Have to give him credit though - we were at John Perry's table and I was examining a nice hunter that John had for sale. The moment I put it back down on the table, just for a second - like to scratch my butt or something - Randy snatched it up and said "SOLD." I at least respect him for waiting until I put it down and not simply grabbing it out of my hands!

More later, including a very special automatic I refer to as "She whom I couldn't get off my mind."
Old 02-14-2005, 09:27 PM

Wonderful post. I am enjoying every sentence. I envy you and everyone that attended.

Two things:
1. I am sorry to say I can only recognize 3-4 of the faces in your winner's photo. Please give me a head's up?

2. Isn't that YOUR bowie from John Perry on the display in the Arkansas museum? Fifth down on the right...

###

OK, I did a search before I submitted this post. Yup, you mentioned you were sending your knife to the AHM display in a long-forgotten post. Come to POPPA!!! (do I have a good eye or what? )

Congrats once again!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Buddy,
You were close on the Best Value winner. The fellow's name is Michael Olive, from Leslie, Arkansas. I think the best folder was Jody Muller of Muller Forge.

Click the banner above to visit my website

Last edited by Terry Primos; 02-14-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:38 PM

Coop - what can I say but boy, you are such a fart smeller - I mean smart feller. (My 11 year old son told me that one. ) Seriously, good eye man! Yeah, I went over there to check on that Mediterranean Bowie by John Perry. The 2 year loan period will be over in a couple of months and she'll be coming home. One of the highlights of my knife-collecting so far was when that beauty made the cover of KNIVES 2005. (JP was pretty happy too!)

Terry - Thanks for clarifying names that I got wrong, and congratulations once again on winning the miniature award! I know that'll be a very special keepsake for your daughter. I sure enjoyed meeting your wife. She is very sharp - and ambitious too! Doesn't sound like you'll be gettin' anywhere near the second knife she forges. Next time, you'll just have to keep your design ideas to yourself.

I'll keep trying to get some knife pictures posted. This elephant ivory, brown lip mother of pearl and damascus auto by J.W. Randall tortured me all day Saturday. Finally, at the last minute before the show shut down for the day, I couldn't stand it any more - just gave up and wrote out the check. I've finally learned to trust "that ol' feelin." Of course as soon as I got home with it 'my attractive wife' began to try and barter it away from me. No way, honey!

Old 02-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Buddy
Looks like you still left the show with a few treasures!

I was tickled as always at the Little Rock Show, but as usual, very humbled!

Had the pleasure to meet Terry Primos and Ray Kirk in person, and the drop point Terry posted in the display case was MUCH nicer in person!!! (Thanks for getting it back out for me Terry!)

I wish I had more funds for all the goodies that were there, but I guess that is a universal problem! Stocked up on belts from Pop's, bought a checkering file, and some nickle silver barstock, and ordered a small wheel flat platen From Uncle Al, and spent the rest of my stash on some Mastadon Ivory scales and some burl wood blocks, now I guess I need to make somthing!

I left with a new determination to try making a folder, there were many makers there with them, and while my favorites have always been at Cliff Polks table, Jimmy Crowell took my breath with a damascus and pearl folder he had on his table. I belive it was an older piece of his, sure was a jewel !

Oh well there is always next year, and a full year for me to try and hit the lotto!!!

God Bless
Mike

Old 02-15-2005, 12:50 AM

Mike - Sounds like you enjoyed yourself AND got lots of good stuff for your shop. Like you, I was humbled too, as I always am at these shows. The people I really admire are the ones who come and lay their knives on the table for all to see, understanding full well that they are not a Ron Newton, a Jim Crowell, a Jerry Fisk or a Terry Primos. Even so, everywhere you looked there seemed to be no limit to the creativity manifested at the AKA show.

As usual I found myself in a frantic search for something to take home to 'my attractive wife' - especially with Valentine's day looming. Fortunately, Vernon Red was at the show and on his table were many cool miniatures. When I saw this one, I knew my search was over. He made this out of two small matching sterling silver butter knives for the handle. He file-worked the liners and back bar, as well as the the edges of the handle and the back of the blade. The blade is decent steel. So I scored! She loved it. "It's such a sweet little thing" she said.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:24 AM
Skilled

Little Rock is one of my very favorite shows and I'm sorry I couldn't make it down this year. This post goes a long way to making up for it - most enjoyable. Congrats to all the award winners -well done!

Roger

Last edited by RogerP; 02-15-2005 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:27 AM

Roger - This was my first time attending the AKA show. So many folks had said it was getting to be one of the top shows around and after attending this year I definitely agree. Plus Little Rock is easy to get in and out of, the weather was very mild, the show facility and adjacent hotel were excellent and the show organizers obviously have it all wired and worked out. Plus it still has a nice laid back feel to it - a plus as far as I'm concerned.

Here's one by Larry Harley. Now I didn't get to actually talk with Larry about this knife. His 16 year old son, Rich, told me the big guy was up takin' a nap. (I did catch up with Larry later and we talked about his special hammer-in coming up in March and the 5 day Father & Son forging clinic he's putting on in June). So I should say that "Hawg-Heaven Express" is not Larry's name for this knife. I just made it up after Rich told me it was a slightly scaled down (12 1/4 in. OAL) version of his dad's full-sized hawg hunter. 'Hawg-Heaven Express' popped up in my head as I thought about what an efficient tool this would be in dispatching a grizzly-pig 'by hand' as they say. The sheath was nice too - double snaps for security and three tie-down tabs for waist, leg or pack carry. Here 'tis:

Well, that's about it from me on the AKA "Little Rock" Show this year. I only covered a fraction of what went on there. Anybody else have anything to add? Jump on in.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Buddy,
Thanks for the great report and the photos. You always do a great job. Also, I really enjoyed chatting with you before and during the show.

#####

There always seems to be one knife that makes me keep coming back to a maker's table for another look. This time it was a little stag handled Bowie by John Perry. I believe the reason I keep thinking about it is because it had -- for lack of a better term -- subtle wow appeal.

What I mean is that it was not the type that necessarily slaps you in the face from across the room. It was the type that upon close inspection gives you little things that make you say "Oh man"!

It had all the usual "basic" stuff that shows a maker knows what he's doing. It was light and very well balanced. The proportions were dead on. The lines and the flow showed that much thought had gone into the project. Fit and finish were about as good as one could ask for. Flats were dead flat, the edge and tip were dead center, the ricasso shoulders matched to a tee, etc.

John made a wrap that goes around the ricasso. It was a delicate blued piece that had a sort of Celtic cutout round it, letting the underlying Damascus show through. I could not see a weld line anywhere on the wrap. The fit up against the ricasso was perfect. I asked John what secured the wrap other than the good fit. He said that it had a tiny lip that fit under the ricasso.

The first couple of times I handled the knife I kept looking at that wrap imagining how difficult it would be to execute. Then on about the third go around I realized that he'd done the same type of thing on the butt cap. Holy smoke John! I was not the only one that was taken with this piece. Bert Gaston and Jim Batson came by and both were telling John that he absolutely needed to submit that one for his Masters rating. John said that it was sold and Bert and Jim both said in unison, "Borrow it back".

#####

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondG Knives
...Had the pleasure to meet Terry Primos and Ray Kirk in person, and the drop point Terry posted in the display case was MUCH nicer in person!!!
So what you're saying is that my photography skills leave a bit to be desired eh? It was great to be able to meet you in person Mike, and thank you for the kind words.

Click the banner above to visit my website

Last edited by Terry Primos; 02-15-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

For the time being I must enjoy knife shows such as this vicariously, reports like this make it more bearable - Thanks Buddy. That John White fighter looks fantastic.

Stephen
Old 02-17-2005, 01:09 AM

Terry - You just had to go and bring up that incredible knife made by John Perry, didn't you! And just when I had begun to get over the heart-break of finding out that it's already spoken for. Life is not fair! Yeah, everybody just kept coming over to John's table and checking it out. Must've been a great feeling for him!

Terry, your work is great too! I'm in awe of all you guys and what you can do with a hunk of metal and other random materials. The only thing I can do better than most folks is hiccup, burp and fart all at the same time. Yeah, I'm proud. But don't anybody try this without proper supervision by a professional like me, because it can be dangerous - there have been rare deaths and even the occasional seizure from people thinking they know how to do it when they really don't.

Stephen - Didn't you say you'll be coming to the US for the BLADE Show in June? If so, be prepared to be blown away. Whereas there were about 100 tables in the AKA "Little Rock" Show - there will be over 500 tables at BLADE in Atlanta! It can be pretty overwhelming so.........you gotta drink plenty of fluids, get a lot of rest and remember to pace yourself! Oh, and bring lots of money. I say "lots" but remember, that's just an estimate. You might actually need "tons."

Tags
art knife, blade, digital, for sale, forge, forging, image, knife, knives, mount, switchblade